• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stalling out and studdering random!!!!!!

bigboyslimjimbo

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 88' jeep wagoneer 4.0l with 165k. I just got the head reworked because when i took the intake manifold off to replace the gasket because i had a leak i found a bolt broke off in the head. When i first started it up after i had done the work it idles alot lower now around 400-500k. Now it has been like 3or4 weeks since then and it will randomly stall when slowing down or at a red light or on a turn, and just the other day it sputtered hard at 45mph, three or four times and then did nothing. I just want to know where to start. What are my possibilities. I have an idea that i may not have put the intake manifold on right and got to happy with the copper rtv and it is just sucking in too much air.? Its just a guess? Help me please. Thanx for any input Jimmy

Reset your base idle and adjust the TPS to specs. The base idle screw on my 90 is a 3/32 allen. You want 700-750 idle for a manual, 700-800 for an auto in drive (have another person sit in the vehicle and hold his foot on the brake pedal--DO NOT TRUST PARK OR WHEEL CHALKS!).

If the TPS is not set right or is bad/failing it can cause problems throught the throttle's range. I would, however, expect it to be somewhat consistant so it may not be the source of the "studdering."

Stalling at a stop or turn could be a sticky IAC or EGR. That 45 MPH stutter could be a O2 sensor.
O2 tends to mess up at mid range first in my experience. Twice now I've had O2 sensors failing and they would act up first right around 2000 RPM, usually while accelerating. One O2 just failed, the other was a cooked O2 harness on the front of the motor, the sensor itself was still good.
Having just remounted the intake, I'd look real close at the O2, engine temp. and knock sensor harness that runs up behind the steering pump, the harness can cook on the front of the exhaust manifold.

Back