• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Random stalling issue

wishihaddaxj

NAXJA Forum User
My 01 XJ 4.0l, it dies a second or two after I start it (usually when it's ice cold in the morning), about once a week. Every once and awhile, this will happen when I'm stopped at a stop light as well. In either case, it starts right back up about 90% of the time, and the rest of the time, it cranks for a second or two, and then starts fine if I give it a little gas. Whenever this happens, the CEL comes on.

It initially gave me just p1495, so I replaced (from a salvage yard) the evap check pump and the evap pump itself. At this time I also cleaned all the grounds and battery terminals and removed the gauge cluster, cleaned the terminals and added some dialectric grease.

That seemed to solve the problem for awhile, but then it happened again and gave me the p0340 code. So I replaced the camshaft position sensor.

Then it happened again and gave me the p1495, so I replaced the gas cap and a few rubber pieces that looked sketchy. Evidently that didn't help.

Today it gave me both codes again. I plan to check the CPS with a voltmeter, but I'm not convinced that's the issue since it doesn't really "no start" and my problem doesn't happen when it's warm.

Any other ideas? I could also have the alternator/battery checked, maybe just low voltage? Otherwise I'm thinking it's a wiring issue, which really pisses me off! (hard to find)

Update: I sprayed out the iac above and below the tb, with the engine running and off, and no luck. To rule out the battery and alternator, I had them checked at oreilly's and they passed with flying colors. I also had the Evap system smoke and pressure checked, and there were no leaks in the system. While at the dealership, they read the codes and got:
P0455 large Evap leak detected
P0340 no cam signal at PCM
P0622 generator field not switching properly
P1495 leak detection pump solenoid

Since there is no leak in the Evap system and I've swapped in different pump and leak detection solenoids, I'm stumped there.
I'm not sure about p0622, I've never gotten that one before, but I thought my alternator checked out?
And for p0340, I've replaced the cam sensor, but can a CPS cause that code?

The dealer said they think it's a wiring issue or a ECM issue. What do you think? Any other way to diagnose without paying for them to try to trace a wiring problem? Any guesses on weather it's wiring or ECM?

What symptoms and codes are you getting??

Mine hasn't died in a couple weeks, I believe since I cleaned out the IAC. However, I was still getting a check engine light for p0455. Just yesterday I unplugged the computer for an hour while I tinkered around and cleaned off the grounds there by the computer. The CEL hasn't come back on yet. I also checked my CPS with an ohm meter and it passed, with the engine hot or cold.

It would be great if my CEL never came back, but I'm guessing it will!

Back