• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rebuild or buy used?

FireFly

NAXJA Forum User
so my transmission is saying haha screw you!! and slipping like crazy. no it wont even go into a gear when i have it in drive. I heard this pos of mine is not rebuildable. its a 89 xj with 4x4. 4.0 with a t242 transfer case in it (which also is about to blow up) what are my options? the less expensive the better too! i have tried calling the local trans shops they want 1600 bucks jus to overhaul the basic parts, and more if the hard parts are destroyed which im pretty sure are. should i look at the craigslist, junkyards?

If on the cheaper end, yes, start looking at craigslist and/or the junkyards. That's what I'd do.

unless you know a trans guy... buy a junkyard tranny...
even after the mucho money you end up spending, theres no promise your trans cooler lines wont bust next week, leaving you in the same spot...

Have you checked your local craigslist? Try finding a AW4/t-case combo to do the full swap all at once, if you can.

You could get a full rebuild kit with all the new parts including clutch packs for about $200, but are you sure its the tranny and not the torque converter thats slipping? I have had two recent vehicles that the torque converter was blown causing it to slip and not want to move / shift right.

i was told this transmission could not be rebuilt. well i wont know about the torque converter until i bust the transmission out.

Well you must have been told wrong because I rebuilt my AW4. I did not replace the clutch packs because they where still in great shape. But the trans parts place had parts to do a complete overhaul on it.
Its pretty easy to, only took me about 3-4 hours to take it apart inspect parts then re-build with all new seals and bushings.

cool. i found a cherokee with a bad engine that is getting rid of the th trans and tranfer case. how much should i give him?

50$.. haha, on a serious note I think 200$ is fair. Maybe a little more depending on age/condition/miles, etc

Thats a good deal for a parts Jeep if you have the time/location to tear it down.

Damn I just sold a AW4 the otherday too... got rid of it for $50 bucks cuz I needed it gone.

Did the same thing, moving this week and wont have a garage after this month. So I dumped my spare AW4 for cheap.

Back