• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Mount Bolts Torn out of the Engine

clean96XJ

NAXJA Forum User
This is the thrid time the engine mounts bolts have failed.

This time only two bolts were found. The third may have never been put back in from the last fix.

This time, the bolts tore out of the engine block. Supposibly, the hole is big.. I have to see. I did not lose oil pressure.

The shop is sugguesting to replace the entire engine. Seems a bit extreme. Any ideas how to fix.. Retapping the holes?

Bomb proof block brackets seem like the only option... depends on what is left.

Pics to follow

4 liter? they are holes that a bolt runs through if I'm not mistaken... If the threads are wasted.. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to run a longer bolt out through the ends or someting like that..
-looking forward to the pictures
-bc

Drill, tap, and Heli-Coil the holes.

When installing the new screws, MAKE SURE they don't "bottom out" in the hole before you tighten them. Stack a couple of washers under the head if they do. This is a fairly common problem, and the one that usually leads to screw failure for us.

If you think they hit bottom in the hole, but can't see space, put a washer or two under the screw heads anyhow. You're not going to harm anything in so doing, and you'll probably prevent this problem happening again!

5-90

this happened to me as well. The bolts were broken off in my situation. i drilled them out. Re-tapped the hole for a larger bolt and installed bomb proof brackets and daystar motormounts. I have a lot more vibration. But the engine stays put. From what i hear if it happens multiple times the block needs to be replaced but im not sure. Depends on how much material you are working with. Crawl your ass underneath there and see how it looks. The shops solution may be closeminded.

-mike

It is a 96 4.0 with a 5 speed. 88k on it.. It is (was) in great condition.

"bottoming out" sounds like a plausible explanation. I was not driving very hard when it happened.

MORE makes the "bombproof" brackets. I looked into them when I sheared my bolts. They're not cheap, but you go from 3 mounting points to 6 iirc.

You might also want to check your transmission mount......

Well, it seems this break was due to the first time the bolts broke. The bottom bolt opened up the hole too much. The first shop welded the braket to the motor.. not so good. The second time, the new shop only installed the top two bolts which is obviously not strong enough. If I had an automatic, I am told the engine might hold with 2 bolts. I am told the bottom bolt hole is not fixable. See pic.

Is the hole fixable?

Currently, two options

Use Bombproof motor brackets that have 7-8 bolts
$240 + shipping
http://www.mountainoffroad.com/catalog/BombProof MM/bombproof.htm

or

new used engine install which will cost $1,300. and get Bombproof brackets too. $240 +shipping probably total cost $1,600

Question: Will the Bombproof brackets hold without the bottom bolt? Anyone has experience with this type of problem?

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p249/clean96xj/DSC_0990_1.jpg

DSC_0990_1.jpg

bolt_hole.jpg

Last edited:
My bet is that the MORE brackets would hold up fine w/o that bottom bolt. I'd also talk to the shop that welded the old bracket to the block and calmly explain that you feel you should be reimbursed for part of the cost of the new bracket.

I also broke the mount and after my friend cuss me out after he drilled out the old bolts I went and spent about $80 for the super mounts and he said they looked like miltary mounts with safety catches to prevent the engine from dropping so you could limp home. It did cause some vibes and the trans mount was worn out so I upgraded that later on. Mine is also a 5 speed so maybe we race too much. (-:

Back