• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replaced plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and battery cables. Clicking from engine on start?

Plays For Jeeps

NAXJA Forum User
Im thinking its the starter solenoid.

I just get a loud clicking sound when I turn the key. But would the starter solenoid cause the radio in my XJ to not turn on as well?

96 4door Auto if that helps.

Thanks a ton guys!

Re: Replaced plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and battery cables. Clicking from engine on start?

shouldn't cause the radio to not come on.. but you could tap the starter for fun.

hows the ground from the chassis to battery look?

Re: Replaced plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and battery cables. Clicking from engine on start?

It looks spotless, I just put it on this morning. Ill play with the starter tomorrow morn.

Thanks for the tip!

Sounds like your battery is drained.

Clean the inside of the battery terminals with a battery brush, check the ground to the chassis & recharge the battery. The clicking you hear is the solenoid not getting enough amperage and dropping out before the starter can get going; most likely not a bad solenoid. Make sure inside of battery terminals are SHINY.... Also make sure the terminals are pushed on the battery posts all the way; twist them a little when putting them back on. Gotta start with the most recent stuff you played with....

What about the block to battery ground. They're common to go bad.

Replaced the block to battery ground. replaced the 12v battery to fuse block also. Recharged battery.

Nothing worked. I tried to start it while tools were under the hood and the engine cranked so I stopped, picked up all my tools and shut the hood. Then I tried again and the clicking was back.

I refuse to call AAA.

put charger back on an see if it trys to start then after about 30 mins, could have bad battery, dead cell

Back