• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 xj fuel tank sending unit update

Jeff 98XJ WI

NAXJA Forum User
I had previously read that the fuel tank sending unit on my '98 was non replaceable without getting the whole fuel pump. Well, that is not true as I have purchased a new sending unit from the dealer for about $26 and swapped it out with the old unit. Mopar # 1-CBK17552. It came with a new fuel pump gasket, the sending unit with float, two new fuel tank support rods and two nylock nuts! My fuel guage would sometimes drop to zero even though there was half a tank of gas in the tank. Shouldn't do that now. Also, the pressure regulator/filter turned out to have a tiny leak where the nipple for the pressureized line connects to the filter body. I tried JB weld putty on it and it seems to be working...at least for now. A new regulator/filter is $102! Jeff

Hmmmm, 235,000+ miles on mine, $26 or $250 for the whole unit.... If I have to drop the tank I might as well do the whole shebang...

=OR=

Continue to live with the kerried up sender and trust my trip odometer...

I also don't think I'd get my tank down w/o destroying those strap bolts, I tried to get one nut off when it was new and I was putting the gas tank skid on and had to remove that old heat shield. Tin snips solved the problem but it was a poor solution...

Have both of you guys checked to see if the recall on this was taken care of on your particular vehicles?

If it wasn't, I don't think the recall expires and that should take care of these issues.
icon7.gif

RichP said:
Hmmmm, 235,000+ miles on mine, $26 or $250 for the whole unit.... If I have to drop the tank I might as well do the whole shebang...

=OR=

Continue to live with the kerried up sender and trust my trip odometer...

I also don't think I'd get my tank down w/o destroying those strap bolts, I tried to get one nut off when it was new and I was putting the gas tank skid on and had to remove that old heat shield. Tin snips solved the problem but it was a poor solution...

It was only for the 97 model year and mine was built in Oct, recall came out in late 98 but you KNOW they used the 97model fuel pumps which is what ticks me off.

RichP said:
It was only for the 97 model year and mine was built in Oct, recall came out in late 98 but you KNOW they used the 97model fuel pumps which is what ticks me off.
ya what sucks is mines a 97 but missed the recal dates by like month

RichP said:

Same here... early prod run 98
:banghead: :twak:

Well ...... that sucks!!!

Doncha just love it when the factory knows there's a problem but decides to weasel out of it with a technicality?!?!?!?
:smsoap:

Back