• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Scratches on oil slinger D30??

FuryIII

NAXJA Forum User
Can anyone tell what happened here? I had this HP D30 geared to 4.56 from stock. They installed a Spartan. I don't like the lunchbox upfront, steering. So I strip it down to install an air locker. But, this is what I see with shaving in the oil. There's no movement in and out and while I didn't put a torque wrench on it, the twist has resistance and is smooth. The carrier doesn't have a mark on it. I'm perplexed.

281100030_10223623671612573_6221012128603304336_n.jpg

I would not draw conclusions from the lack of marks on the carrier.

The oil slinger is probably much softer than the ring gear.

A burr on the leading edge of a tooth or two is what I would be looking for.

I would not draw conclusions from the lack of marks on the carrier.

The oil slinger is probably much softer than the ring gear.

A burr on the leading edge of a tooth or two is what I would be looking for.

Thanks, I'll take another look. Still don't understand the cause.

Someone set it up excessively deep, and the slinger collided with the ring gear when he spun it up to check a pattern.
Assuming he noticed the error in his ways, corrected it, and came up with an acceptable gear setup, nothing to worry about. All a slinger does is sling oil.

As far as debris in the oil, SOME, fine metal debris is normal, that’s the gear breaking in. Gear teeth should be dull grey.

Someone set it up excessively deep, and the slinger collided with the ring gear when he spun it up to check a pattern.
Assuming he noticed the error in his ways, corrected it, and came up with an acceptable gear setup, nothing to worry about. All a slinger does is sling oil.

As far as debris in the oil, SOME, fine metal debris is normal, that’s the gear breaking in. Gear teeth should be dull grey.

I guess the best thing for me to do is check the pattern and backlash to make sure it was set up correctly.

Back