• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

95 stright six oil pressure sending unit

mvella

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i have an 89 cherokee limited with a 95 4.0L high output stright six in it. the oil pressure was pinged right when i stared the car. now i wiggle the wires on the oil pressure sending unit and it was fine but i tried it again and now it wont work. i think the sending unit is busted. what do you think. ohh and what kind of sending unit will fit on there is it just the one for the 95 engine or can i use the one from an 89??? please help a jeeper in NEED!

Dr. Dyno said:
I think the sending units are exactly the same on all 4.0 engines so just buy a new one.
No they arn,t.IIRC the terminal end changed in 96 .Year groups 84-91 and 92-96 my book shows the 98 and 99 as different too.
Wayne

i don't know the year break, but i have an 89, 94 and 95 cherokee 4.0L in my garage. the 89 is completely different from the 94 and 95. the 94 and 95 is the same.

if you know what year the engine is, just buy all your engine replacement parts for that year jeep.

The year break is 90/91. You need whichever version matches your instrument cluster, not the engine itself. Assuming the instrument cluster is also updated to 95 you need 91-up. If you managed to make the 95 engine work with the original instruments, stick with the original type.

the oil pressure sending unit from the 89 won't fit into the spot where the 95 has it's oil sending unit. so i'm pretty sure he found some way to adapt it.

how about this.........take the sending unit off of your engine and take it to the parts store. then have them pull a sending unit for an 89 and a 95 and see which one matches.

Back