• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel cocked after WJ knuckle and ZJ tie rod?

1.21Gugawatts

NAXJA Forum User
2000 xj freedom, 2wd to 4wd converted , 2.5” lift
Just did the WJ knuckle swap.
-new ebay knuckles
-new xj wheel bearings
- new ball joints, XJ uppers, WJ lowers
-ironman knuckle spacers
-ZJ Moog tied rod set to same length (center to center) 42.25”
Reassemble appeared to go smoothly.
Went for a slow spin around the block and steering felt funny.

Upon review
-Passenger wheel is cocked
-from front it appears to be negative camber
-toed in
-drivers side looks straight

Do you think this is just a tie rod and drag link adjustment fix?

Did you get an alignment yet? After doing what you did it's not going to bolt back perfectly will need to adjust some thing.

No alignment yet. Just got it together and was like, dat wtf off!

Yesterday, i took off the tie rod, eye balled each wheel straight, expanded the tied rod to match holes (now at 42 5/8”), and she drives pretty straight now.

I swear just looking at the passenger wheel bearing and rotor it looks like there is some camber there….. but i did have it jacked up with a bit of a tilt.

The only way excessive camber should come into play in your situation would be with a bent axle housing, offset/adjustable ball joints (relatively uncommon, but available), or an improperly seated unit bearing (which could happen if the unit bearing spacer was not 100% flush with the original surface). Maybe a damaged/deformed knuckle beyond that, but I'm not enough of a metallurgist to tell you how likely that is.

The only way excessive camber should come into play in your situation would be with a bent axle housing, offset/adjustable ball joints (relatively uncommon, but available), or an improperly seated unit bearing (which could happen if the unit bearing spacer was not 100% flush with the original surface). Maybe a damaged/deformed knuckle beyond that, but I'm not enough of a metallurgist to tell you how likely that is.

A "new" ebay knuckle to me sounds like it could be an issue. I think I'd rather get an OEM one from a yard.

A "new" ebay knuckle to me sounds like it could be an issue. I think I'd rather get an OEM one from a yard.

That's what happened to me, I bought a new set thru Quadratec and one was not machined correctly. I sent them back and went to the wrecking yard.

If toe isnt set correctly tires camber can look off.

Align yourself or get aligned but till then dont sweat it till theres something to sweat

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Back