• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SS Brake Lines Question

Jawa

NAXJA Forum User
I'm having trouble finding an answer to this... I've got a set of stainless steel extended brake lines on the front of my heep that I've been letting rub against the tires for too long. The plastic coating on the outside has worn away. The mesh doesn't appear to have been damaged yet and they're not leaking. Can I rewrap the line in something and call it good or do they need to be replaced?

...and needless to say I'll be rigging something up to keep them from rubbing on the tires going forward. :doh:

I'm having trouble finding an answer to this... I've got a set of stainless steel extended brake lines on the front of my heep that I've been letting rub against the tires for too long. The plastic coating on the outside has worn away. The mesh doesn't appear to have been damaged yet and they're not leaking. Can I rewrap the line in something and call it good or do they need to be replaced?

...and needless to say I'll be rigging something up to keep them from rubbing on the tires going forward. :doh:
heat shrink tubing, or maybe plasti-dip? I ran mine around the shock and attached it to the shock with big zip tie's and a small bungee to keep tension on it. Someone here recommended the small bungee cord. I can snap a pic of the routing if you like

remove the caliper and situate it better. had that issue, used tip ties then hated the ziptie, removed and rotated the caliper to get the line to bow away from the tire.

I had SS lines on my RX7 (Earl's, IIRC), and they didn't have anything on the exterior aside from the stainless braiding- as long as it's not damaged (which might in turn damage the hose inside), I'd think it would be alright.

Granted, that was a street car, and getting sand/dirt/etc on the lines wasn't a concern with me. You could probably find some vinyl tubing to fit, or what maxx said. Surely the coating is just to keep junk out of the braiding, having no effect on braking performance?

I used a piece of fuel line and then hose clamps to protect mine!!

Thanks for the responses everyone, sounds like I should be okay just re-covering the part of the line that's currently exposed. :thumbup:

Thanks for the responses everyone, sounds like I should be okay just re-covering the part of the line that's currently exposed. :thumbup:

Yeah that should be fine. Stainless hose is abbraisive and will file through other objects when it isn't coated. Some stainless hoses do not come with an outer layer. I have the RE stainless hoses and the outer plastic coating has cracked in some places. It's the added strength of the stainless braid that keeps the innner rubber brakeline from flexing or 'ballooning'. I'd recommend that you adjust your hoses so they don't hit your tire. I'm running an extra 4" on my hoses, I have a LOT of extra hose. I was able to coil them slightly so they don't hit the tire. My tires are only 9.5" wide on factory wheels though.

if you have A LOT of extra hose, you want to make sure your not pig-tailing. as that would cause un-even braking presure!
been there, done that!

back on topic, if the stainless mesh is fine, the hoses are fine...

if you have A LOT of extra hose, you want to make sure your not pig-tailing. as that would cause un-even braking presure!
been there, done that!

back on topic, if the stainless mesh is fine, the hoses are fine...

back off topic... :)

I've never heard of 'pig-tailing' before, but I'm sure it's describing the coiling that I mentioned. If I could have purchased shorter stainless lines for my 2" lift, I would have. My brakes suck no matter what (comparitively anyway). I'll eventually upgrade to larger calipers and rotors, but probably not for a few years. Until then, I'll deal with any uneven brake pressure. I don't get pulling to either side. By default, stainless hoses are supposed to help keep the pressure consistent. I'm not quite sure how the uneven brake pressure would occur, but I'll take your word for it.

What do you think of my line in picture below:
1610527467_06548333f8_o.jpg

on a friends mj, at about 5.5", we had a similar pigtail effect, maybe slightly more...
one side was worse then the other, we noticed SIGNIFICANTLY less pad wear on the side w/ more pigtail, so we re-routed it straight, and he noticed better braking. this was w/ professionally made SS lines.

im looking foward to someone w/ more knowledge chiming in!

Pigtailing is a bad thing? My rear stainless line does that because the fittings were a bit rusty on the metal line that goes across the unibody rail. When I tightened the fitting it kind of twisted the stainless line so it isn't perfectly straight.

I figure it keeps the line out of the way of obstacles :D

I could see it being a bad thing if the line was crushed, crimped, or pigtailing so bad that it was compressing in some areas.

But pigtailing alone I'd be skeptical as well. If you'll remember alot of older vehicles have the metal brake lines pigtailed or coiled many times over around the master cylinder.

Back