• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quality Leaf Springs, OEM ride height & worthy of towing??

BALTANAKT

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys, looking for leaf springs for my Dad's '88 he just picked up. It has 86,000 mi. Amazing. The leaf springs are sagging a little however, and we'd like to replace them. Are there any out there that are both high quality and also worthy of towing?

Thanks much!

Way back when I bought a set of Crown springs for my ‘96. I was happy with them. I towed some too and didn’t have any issues.

Crown Heavy Duty springs are equivalent to the UpCountry off-road package springs. They will lift the rear about 1 inch, but more importantly they have a higher than stock load rating.

A stock XJ Cherokee main leaf with the springs eyes trimmed off added to a stock leaf spring pack will add load capacity, and will reduce or eliminate the sag without affecting the pavement ride quality.

Last edited:
The heavy duty ones are what I got. If I needed springs for a stock XJ I wouldn’t hesitate to get them again.

I’ve only had mine on a few months so can’t soeak for the longevity, but they were in great condition when they arrive. No rust or paint issues

Mine were poorly painted and rusted from the start and sagged to flat within 2 years. Anyone else have this happen?

Sorry to hear it. Seems to be a distinct possibility with the OEM HD springs. I've seen similar reports for both the Crown 4886186AA, and Dorman 929-301. Kind of a bummer for the 'we just want things to work' crowd.

My '97 is also in need of new suspension. I've got the towing package, carry tools, and enjoy a smooth ride. Plan to get the ARB buck bouncer down the road. No interest in huge tires or a lift.

In the search for durable, well made springs, I came across ARB / Old Man Emu CS033RB Medium Duty Leaf Springs. They seem to emphasize ride quality, but give 3-4" of lift as shipped. Some say you can remove a leaf and get closer to 2" and theoretically keep most of your suspension bits stock.

Anyone have any experience with the OME springs on a near-stock setup? I'm planning on using Bilstein 4600, but could get the 5100s if necessary. I could do ~2" if that's what it'll take, but prefer to not have to replace a bunch of suspension-adjacent parts to make everything play nice. This is my daily/road trip warrior, so highway handling/comfort with a bit of a load is my highest priority.

tl/dr: Where are the stock/country leafs that last 5-10 years?

I had them for about 2 years on a 97 XJ. And while they did settle in lower than when they were new they never got as bad as the originals. I've had another set on my current 95 County since October of last year and they have settled in as well (and ride better than when new) but are still a little higher than the rear which I wanted for load carrying.

When they wear out (it's going to happen eventually no matter what) I think I may go with General Spring or OME.

devildog0,

You're talking about Crown 4886186AA here? If so, it seems both the Crown and Dorman 929-301 have a reputation for sagging. Yet they appear to be the only game in town for OEM/Country replacements.

When you say you're going to go OME next, are you talking about their Medium Duty CS033RB? Are you planning on pulling a leaf, or doing a minor lift all the way around? I read reports of 3-4" as shipped, and 2-3" with a leaf pulled. Have a good reputation for quality, though, which makes me wonder if I wouldn't be better off just accepting that a 2" lift is necessary for a quality suspension replacement.

My 97 is a daily and our road trip machine, so on road handling and comfort is paramount. Recently had four people, a full trunk, and four bikes hanging off the back and realized that, at 290k, my suspension wasn't pulling it's weight anymore. Would like to replace the whole system, but am underwhelmed with what appears to be on the market.

Are people overreacting to this leaf settling, or do they really start sagging in a year or two? Would be great to get HDs, front coils, 4600s and be done with it.

My son’s ‘97 XJ has a 2” spacer/shackle/bastard pack lift. I’m not necessarily advocating for spacers and shackles, but a 2” lift with 30” tires is very streetable IMHO. We’ve taken it on several 3 hour plus trips and it still gets 18 mpg with a 5-speed, 3.08 gears and heavy steel wheels. We live in WV. On flatter ground and lighter wheels I bet we could get 20mpg.

devildog0,

You're talking about Crown 4886186AA here? If so, it seems both the Crown and Dorman 929-301 have a reputation for sagging. Yet they appear to be the only game in town for OEM/Country replacements.

When you say you're going to go OME next, are you talking about their Medium Duty CS033RB? Are you planning on pulling a leaf, or doing a minor lift all the way around? I read reports of 3-4" as shipped, and 2-3" with a leaf pulled. Have a good reputation for quality, though, which makes me wonder if I wouldn't be better off just accepting that a 2" lift is necessary for a quality suspension replacement.

My 97 is a daily and our road trip machine, so on road handling and comfort is paramount. Recently had four people, a full trunk, and four bikes hanging off the back and realized that, at 290k, my suspension wasn't pulling it's weight anymore. Would like to replace the whole system, but am underwhelmed with what appears to be on the market.

Are people overreacting to this leaf settling, or do they really start sagging in a year or two? Would be great to get HDs, front coils, 4600s and be done with it.
If i can find a way to make the OMEs ride at upcountry height or there abouts which im not sure if thats possible.

Yes I'm talkong about the Crowns. Ive had them on 2 Jeeps. A 97 and my current 95.

I had not heard of General Spring until after i did my 95 in October but searching the web they seem to have really good reviews and reputation and they carry the HD spring rate for the XJ that you need for the UpCountry package.

https://www.generalspringkc.com/product_p/97-547.htm

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I had not heard of General Spring until after i did my 95 in October but searching the web they seem to have really good reviews and reputation and they carry the HD spring rate for the XJ that you need for the UpCountry package.

https://www.generalspringkc.com/product_p/97-547.htm

Count me interested in General Spring as well. Does anyone here use them and can comment on how they worked out?

This is a great discussion.

Quite interested in General Spring reviews.

Q: Did the UpCountry package have any other differences from a normal XJ, such as high spring rates for the front, or special shock absorbers?

This is a great discussion.

Quite interested in General Spring reviews.

Q: Did the UpCountry package have any other differences from a normal XJ, such as high spring rates for the front, or special shock absorbers?
It did have a heavier spring up front a MOOG CC782 is an upcountry equivalent. Shocks were the same as far as I know. UPCOUNTRY packages also came with the OEM skid plates and I belive you got a small static cling decal. Ive got a regulat vinyl repro of that i got off of one of the Jeep forums.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Back