• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

UNIBODY problem !!!

IanGlaser-XJ99

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone !

I was checking underneath of my unibody and it seems to have a hit in the Lower control arm section, and the frame rail looks crushed, as far as i see it looks like the sheet metal starts to crack. (I can upload pictures)

My idea is go to the junkyard cut this area of another jeep, replace it on mine welding it and then wraping it with mid sections frame stiffeners, I already put the Hooligans Front section.

is it the correct way? or maybe a body builder fix it, what do you recommend me to do?

thank you

In a couple of weeks im going with long arms, so Im not going to need the stock lower control arm bracket, i just want to fix it to stop the crack and make it easy put the frame stiffeners

Pictures will help. Do you have the necessary welding skills or know someone who does ?

Dont waste your time cutting out sheet metal so you can stick it back on your rig. Grab some steel and find someone who KNOWS HOW to weld. And build it back stronger.

Notice I didn't mention anything about friends who own a welder.

Or buy another XJ. Depends on how bad it is and what you're doing with the rig.

Pics would help 10x

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This metal is pretty thin and if you don't have a good machine to weld with you will blow through it. Ask me how I know!! Mine is just a trail rig that I am removing old rust from and sealing the floor so it won't rust again so I'm not worried about it as much as you would be for a rig that will be used at highway speeds that could fold like an aluminum can if it takes a hit.

Not seeing the pics I am going to imagine I see a crushed frame rail. Best thing to do.

1. Purchase a long piece of thick C Chanel Steel that will fit under the front and rear tires of the XJ.

2. Weld hooks spaced 12 inches apart in between the two tires.

3. Attached ratchet straps or a come along to the hook and the smashed unibody.

4. Use a torch to heat up the unibody around the smashed area.

5. Use a hammer to hit the steel in the smashed area and tighten down the ratchet strap or come along at the same time.

6. Reinforce the area with plate after you have pulled out the smashed rail.

7. Paint it

8. Done.

Back