NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old June 8th, 2019, 07:54
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Voltage Gauge read 19 volts - Digital Meter says 14.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_MN View Post
If the dashboard voltage gauge shows 19 volts, there almost always a connectivity issue, most often corroded battery lugs/terminals, internally corroded battery wires, or a loose connection in the charging system.

Today I'm going to take a closer look. Makes sense the voltage would spike if there is a bad ground or fault somewhere. I bet you would bet me on the main cables.
Old June 8th, 2019, 08:03
NAXJA Forum User

I quit buying the yellow tops. My CJ ate those things up. I thought they would be best for the winch. I have had excellent luck (so far) with the blues with winches. I too have gone to NAPA batteries and parts in general for that matter. I will only go to AZ, O'R, etc. for oil and paper towels.
Old July 13th, 2019, 18:59
NAXJA Forum User

So after cleaning all the cables and connectors, testing everything I could think of, I finally took it into my local Auto Electric shop. Turned out to be the Alternator. I didn't test this because I had just replaced it 3 months prior. Figured I could rule it out. Nope. Brand new NAPA alternator faulted inside. $400 later all is good.
Old July 14th, 2019, 05:56
Freakish Hand Strength

Well I would have lost that bet, since an internally shorted alternator is very highly uncommon, but not the first one I have heard about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

Go ahead and slam the liftgate down on a blanket, and see how long you are laughing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soyjer

Tim MAY be 100% correct, but why would a person automatically pick him as the expert .....