• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aw4 trans issue

bhamer2

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I have a 96 cherokee sport and it has a wierd issue with the rans shifting. It is constant and happens everyday.
You take off from a stop sigin or light and it will accelerate really good then it is like the trans will shift from 1st to 3rd and it is a harsh shift then you wont feel any other shifts. You wont fell it shifting from 3rd to od, and it doesnt down shift either. If your on the freeway and try to pass someone and step on the gas it doesnt come out of overdrive. I assume that it is overdive because at 65mph it is only pulling about 2500 rpms.
The fluid has been changed 2 times both times with a full trans flush. It didnt make a difference not ant better and not any worse. If you manually shift the trans from 1-2 to 3- then to od you feel the 1-2 to 3rd shift and then a slight shift from 3-od. so if you guys can think of anything that it could be please let me know. At this point in time I am thinking of replacing the trans and being done with it. Any suggestions would be great.

Hey guys I have a 96 cherokee sport and it has a wierd issue with the rans shifting. It is constant and happens everyday.
You take off from a stop sigin or light and it will accelerate really good then it is like the trans will shift from 1st to 3rd and it is a harsh shift then you wont feel any other shifts. You wont fell it shifting from 3rd to od, and it doesnt down shift either. If your on the freeway and try to pass someone and step on the gas it doesnt come out of overdrive. I assume that it is overdive because at 65mph it is only pulling about 2500 rpms.
The fluid has been changed 2 times both times with a full trans flush. It didnt make a difference not ant better and not any worse. If you manually shift the trans from 1-2 to 3- then to od you feel the 1-2 to 3rd shift and then a slight shift from 3-od. so if you guys can think of anything that it could be please let me know. At this point in time I am thinking of replacing the trans and being done with it. Any suggestions would be great.

my 89 toyota with the same tranny did the same, I sold it, the guy found a wire grounding on the valve body.

Back