• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'95 Heep's build thread

95' heep

NAXJA Forum User
I am subscribed so I can post here now :guitar:

I want to start a build thread about my XJ as I go by

my XJ currently is up for parting out as I have other jeep to build (better one to build up on)

I just picked up a 79' F-250 Dana 44, working on to get a Ford 9" axle.

The plan at the time is to build the D44/F9 to run 37" tire on weld-on beadlocks (or recentered H1 rims?)

full carrier locker front (or selectable if I have $$ by then). full spool rear

I will want to build the D44/F9 to reuse the lift kit so I dont need to make new suspension parts as my lift kit is not a year old yet

I am in the line to get a set of supercab F-150 knuckles from my friend so I can run high steer arms with 5x5.5 bolt pattern.

the question is what gearing should I go- 4.88 or 5.13? I think 5.13 is way to go

5:13's or 5:38's, definitely not 4.88's.

I am in the line to get a set of supercab F-150 knuckles from my friend so I can run high steer arms with 5x5.5 bolt pattern.

I ran 5.38's with 36 irocs and loved the gear. Hated the breakage.

How are you going to run High steer on F150 knuckles. The Ford never had a knuckle that could be set up for high steer in the D44. I ran high steer with the Chevy d44 knuckle and ford rotor and hub to retain the for 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern. If you want to do high steer on the d44 do it right and get real familiar with this:

http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/web_rs44.html

I ran 5.38's with 36 irocs and loved the gear. Hated the breakage.

How are you going to run High steer on F150 knuckles. The Ford never had a knuckle that could be set up for high steer in the D44. I ran high steer with the Chevy d44 knuckle and ford rotor and hub to retain the for 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern. If you want to do high steer on the d44 do it right and get real familiar with this:

http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/web_rs44.html

F250 knuckles were flat tops (at least the few I have seen).

Then you have 8 lug though.

f250 knuckles were indeed flat tops (AFAIK) but they have proven themselves to be rare. hence why i have some expensive orange hunks of cast steel on my axles rather than f250 knuclkes.

I definately will go with the 5.38 in the axles

basically the plan has been changed! I sold the Dana 44 I had and bought 14 bolt rear and '78 ford hpd60 srw for the swap! Yeah that's right- 1 ton axles

I am going to get recentered h1 rims with military tires (Goodyear wrangler) for now and upgrade to some 39.5" or larger (they are so expensive!) later when I get $

I basically am in parts gathering phase right now. I am going to build the axles with 4340 axles, Reid knuckles, full hydro steer, Johnny joints

I am going to reuse my Iron Rock Off Road lift kit. I am going to cut the ends off the arms and extend it to push the axle forward a couples of inches and weld in a bung to screw the joints on there instead of the rubber bushings

i probably will need to build a anti-wrap bar for rear, not sure. I don't want to waste my time or money on something when I won't need it

Back