• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'87 Comanche "Street Truck" Edition?

IXNAYXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So, I have been looking for a beater XJ to take out to the KOH while I'm staying in the LA area attending to little things on the Petty Cash Racing/Team NAXJA #4643 race car. I've been hitting refresh on the local Criagslist Cars/Trucks section for a week and nothing really promising has come up...until last night. Behold, #16 of 100 "Street Comanche Special Limited Editions:"

DSC_0673.jpg

It's even Archer Brothers Red:

DSC_0671.jpg

DSC_0672.jpg

It's been tagged by the neighborhood hooligans, but otherwise, all the panels are straight and all the body kit/flares/bumpers are there:

DSC_0679.jpg

DSC_0678.jpg

DSC_0676.jpg

Interior needs some work, but it does have dual leather buckets (look like Limited XJ seats) and leather wrapped steering wheel. Also, the interior is all black, which is pretty rare.

DSC_0675.jpg

Here's what it looked like new:

streetcomanche.jpg

And here's how it'll look when I'm done with it:

154_0610_03_z+jeep_commanche+archer_brothers.jpg

The BA/10 will probably get swapped out for one of the 2WD AW4s I have laying around, and I'll probably do most of the same mods (8.8 swap, Black Magic brakes in the front, etc) as the LeMons racer But, for $350, how could I say no?

-Matt

That is a sweet deal. It runs and drives for $350? Smoken deal, for a hard to find MJ.

That is a sweet deal. It runs and drives for $350? Smoken deal, for a hard to find MJ.
Well, it doesn't "run" at the moment, but I think that's from a dead battery and bad gas. But in any event, yes, it's a good deal.

I was wondering if anybody knew anything more about these trucks. Anybody?

-Matt

Well, it's in my clutches now, no turning back. Now just to see if I can get it running....

Good Luck, Thats a sweet truck! :party:

too bad spare renix fuel system components are so hard to find.

too bad that truck probably will be gutted and raced instead of restored and cruised around town.

great rare find though.

too bad the owner is a douche.

:kissyou:

Comancheclub.com has a thread about these Street Comanches. They were done by a California dealership and as the dash plaque states, only 100 were made.

I think it'd be cool if you'd entertain the possibility of offering it for sale/trade with a Comanche club member to save the truck, and build/race a more common MJ......... Or maybe pull all the parts that make it the rare truck and sell them to an MJ guy wanting to make a tribute truck.

too bad that truck probably will be gutted and raced instead of restored and cruised around town.
Um...the point of these trucks was to honor the Archer brothers domination of SCCA. What better home for it than a race track?

That being said, I'm absolutely, totally willing to trade some avid Comanche fanatic for a comparable MJ if they want to preserve this one and make a shrine with which to worship every day. If I strip it and make a race car out of it, all of the (apparently rare) black interior, seats, etc would be offered up to the MJ community. Likewise the bed canopy.

-Matt

I think it'd be cool if you'd entertain the possibility of offering it for sale/trade with a Comanche club member to save the truck, and build/race a more common MJ......... Or maybe pull all the parts that make it the rare truck and sell them to an MJ guy wanting to make a tribute truck.
As I just mentioned above, but wanted to reiterate, is that I'm absolutely willing to entertain something like what you propose.

I too think it's a great piece of history/memorabilia/whatever and don't want to seen it just thrown away. That being said, it just happened to fall into my lap, and I've been wanting to do a second Petty Cash Racing road race car for a while, ideally an MJ. So, feel free to make me offers and let's work something out.

-Matt

I think its a sweet truck, would be cool to see it raced. The CC guys are cool but most of them are actually too cheap to "restore" the truck to something respectable. I think that racing it would be respectable! without the camper shell (the faded red shell matches my faded red MJ lol)

As I just mentioned above, but wanted to reiterate, is that I'm absolutely willing to entertain something like what you propose.

I too think it's a great piece of history/memorabilia/whatever and don't want to seen it just thrown away. That being said, it just happened to fall into my lap, and I've been wanting to do a second Petty Cash Racing road race car for a while, ideally an MJ. So, feel free to make me offers and let's work something out.

-Matt

$351

I know JohnnyC has been looking for that shell forever.

Yes the CC guys are cheap but there are some fanatics over there (like me) that will restore that truck to preserve it's memory. I am going to link this thread there and see if someone would be willing to trade it for one of theirs.

If I am reading this right you are looking for a rust free driver to take it's place correct?

I think its a sweet truck, would be cool to see it raced. The CC guys are cool but most of them are actually too cheap to "restore" the truck to something respectable. I think that racing it would be respectable! without the camper shell (the faded red shell matches my faded red MJ lol)

^^ This

I think it is in good hands now - race it. Maybe even clone the Archer setup as a starting point and develop it from there.

I know JohnnyC has been looking for that shell forever.

Yes the CC guys are cheap but there are some fanatics over there (like me) that will restore that truck to preserve it's memory. I am going to link this thread there and see if someone would be willing to trade it for one of theirs.

If I am reading this right you are looking for a rust free driver to take it's place correct?
Johnny is the proud new owner of the canopy. And yes, any interesting trades would be entertained. Happy to have the thread cross posted on CC, glad to have the history and uniqueness of this truck shared.

-M

Back