• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Manual Hub BLOWOUT!

Missiletech

NAXJA Forum User
Literally... Anyone experience this? I was backing out of my driveway in 2wd and the hubs locked. Everything except the exploded body looks fine, which overall still isn't good but the body was obviously the weak spot here.

DSC03372.jpg

DSC03370.jpg

The problem with the Milemarker is that the lug bolt holes are too tight. They have to be clearanced so that the hub is completely loose on the lug bolts. Since they are tight, it causes stress up through the body.

I have Warn hubs and Milemarker. I fell for the Milemarker tight fit (no more retainer clips) and ended up with the same problem as you. Once I clearanced the stud holes, no more problems. Other than that the Milemarker seem to be as strong as the Warn.

I use press nuts or retainers over the studs to hold the Warn hublocks on the hub, and now the Milemarker.

I never noticed them fitting tightly but they could be.

Mine are rugged ridges and part of the OMIX (AlloyUSA/RR) hub conversion kit.

*I'm also packin' 33's, 4.88s and a Spartan in the dirty 30.*

Too bad there isn't a way to reinforce the circumference of the long body on these.
Would something like a big hose clamp help prevent it flexing to failure like that? I have other ideas but they'd be a PITA.

Why do you do that? I've always just slipped the hub on loosely and being sandwiched between the wheel it ain't going anywhere.

For the record I have used Warn and they have never broke like that.
I swap my tires from street to trail tires and back again. If it's been a muddy trail ride, it's real easy to get mud into the hubs when swapping tires. That's why the retainers.

I broke two Warns last year. One for an unknown reason and one got hit by a rock. I've been running Warn and Milemarker since '05.

I run 35s, 4.56 and ARBs.

Too bad there isn't a way to reinforce the circumference of the long body on these.
Would something like a big hose clamp help prevent it flexing to failure like that? I have other ideas but they'd be a PITA.
You have to remember that the entire aluminum housing is handling the torque from the axles shaft to the wheel when engaged. Any flaw in the aluminum, fitment or wear (or overstress) can cause them to explode.

Warn by far has the better reputation for durability but the other makers can and do hold up well.

I agree and understand the dynamic forces being concentrated on that part of the hub.

It seems like the rotational force twisted it off as there is no damaged to any of the internals or wear marks for that matter.

If there were only a way to make the aluminum cylinder stronger vis some reinforcement it would take some more abusive before detonation and possibly contain some of the debris as I still haven't found all the pieces of my hub's body.

If I wasn't about to take a massive pay cut because I'm transfering to shore duty (Navy) I wouldn't be so concerned but right now I can't afford to make any big changes. Suck.

You have to remember that the entire aluminum housing is handling the torque from the axles shaft to the wheel when engaged. Any flaw in the aluminum, fitment or wear (or overstress) can cause them to explode.

Warn by far has the better reputation for durability but the other makers can and do hold up well.

Back