• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blew the Reservoir on NEW Power Steering Pump!

Slimer

NAXJA Forum User
UNCLE!!

What did I do?? I originally broke the little plastic nipple on the back of my power steering pump reservoir when I changed the radiator. Instead of replacing the pump I just replaced the reservoir.

Of course it leaked and kept leaking no matter how I tried to seal it up. I took the pump off the reservoir off three times.

So I broke down and went to NAPA for a new pump with reservoir already installed. I put it on, flushed the system and first blew the low pressure return line. I replaced it and then blew a hole out the side of the reservoir.

What did I forget to do or did I get a bad pump? Any suggestions?

Here is how I bled the system.
Tighten the fittings
Wheels off the ground
Engine running
Turn the steering wheel from stop to stop (gently at the stops) 20 times
Engine off
Look into the reservoir for bubbles
Let the fluid settle down until there is no bubbles
Repeat the above
Wheels down
Turn the steering wheel stop to stop a few times
Check the fluid for excessive bubbles

24273662_1698322866884799_611911888680019452_o.jpg

Logic would dictate that pretty much the only way to blow out the reservoir is to build pressure in the reservoir. The cap should have a vent in it to prevent pressure buildup. Sounds like you have a bad cap.

Turned out to be a bad pump. I took the reservoir off and hooked to my air compressor electric motor and ran hydraulic fluid through it. The low pressure side or the return side had over 250 psi while the high pressure side only had 36 psi. Maybe they rebuilt it backwards, I don't know. I exchanged it and the new works fine. Strange.

I had a similar issue to your original problem. I also broke the input nipple off the reservoir and got a non-Mopar replacement reservoir. It leaked like a sieve where it connects to the pump. Turns out the o-ring that was supposed to seal it... wasn't. I ended up getting a batch of o-rings that ended up doing the job just fine.

FYI, this is what I ended up getting... M3x14 Viton O-Ring, 75A Shore Durometer, Round, Black, 14 mm ID, 20 mm OD, 3 mm Width.

If you want, I can send you one (I had to get a pack of 10). PM me if you want one. That way you have a spare reservoir.

FYI, this is what I ended up getting... M3x14 Viton O-Ring, 75A Shore Durometer, Round, Black, 14 mm ID, 20 mm OD, 3 mm Width.

If you want, I can send you one (I had to get a pack of 10). PM me if you want one. That way you have a spare reservoir.
Where did you find these, part number?

I had a similar issue to your original problem. I also broke the input nipple off the reservoir and got a non-Mopar replacement reservoir. It leaked like a sieve where it connects to the pump. Turns out the o-ring that was supposed to seal it... wasn't. I ended up getting a batch of o-rings that ended up doing the job just fine.

Vgonman,
Thank you for the kind offer. It stopped leaking when I replaced the entire pump.

Ryan

Back