NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Other Technical Forums > Jeep Street and Performance
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Jeep Street and Performance Do you like to go fast in your Jeep?

Old February 24th, 2021, 15:22
NAXJA Member

Re: Supercharged LS3 crammed into an XJ

I took my Jeep to Transmasters in escondido and they were able to reprogram the TCM to accept the tap shifting inputs. It is working now and for that I am very grateful.

If one of you is crazy enough to try this the problem was that the TCM was programmed to receive the input signal on pin D4. It needs to be programmed to receive on pin D6.

This shop also has a dyno and man oh man and I tempted! I dont think I will be able to resist.
Old February 24th, 2021, 18:17
NAXJA Member

I took my Jeep to Transmasters in escondido and they were able to reprogram the TCM to accept the tap shifting inputs. It is working now and for that I am very grateful.

If one of you is crazy enough to try this the problem was that the TCM was programmed to receive the input signal on pin D4. It needs to be programmed to receive on pin D6.

This shop also has a dyno and man oh man and I tempted! I dont think I will be able to resist.
Old February 26th, 2021, 12:55
Stranger

Nice!

I don't think I want to change my XJ so much, but I could be tempted to swap an LS into a V-8 ZJ. Watching Vanimal's ZJ with his front and rear long arm suspension has left me wanting to build something along those lines. The Bride will probably be upset with me if the right ZJ comes across my path needing a motor.

The "Varmint-Mobile": 1997 ZJ Laredo, 4wd, 4.0L, Slushbox
Old February 28th, 2021, 08:34
NAXJA Member

Supercharged LS3 crammed into an XJ

If I were to start all over I would absolutely go with a ZJ. ZJs are much quieter and generally less Spartan than the XJ. I would also consider going completely hog wild (again!) and buying a totaled wk2 with the eco diesel and putting straight axles on it. If that was done correctly it would be an amazing vehicle. Especially if the thing already had body damage then I would never have to worry about that.

I got my new sway bar links in and that makes a huge difference. No longer weaving all over the place.

I locked the rear axle and gave it some throttle yesterday too. Achieved burnout nirvana. A life long goal of mine is to do a four wheel burn out. I fear that I will snap a driveshaft collar but will have to try it eventually. I am pretty sure skruffy will do it with out much effort.
Old March 5th, 2021, 19:35
NAXJA Member

Folks,
I will be headed overseas for about 7 months so there won’t be any updates until I return. I appreciate all of the interest, enthusiasm, support and advice!
Still have that problem of the hood....
Old March 5th, 2021, 20:08
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skruffy View Post
Still have that problem of the hood....

I have an LS3 intake if you want to fix your hood problem. And create a hood problem on mine!
Old March 5th, 2021, 20:10
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notAhoser View Post
I have an LS3 intake if you want to fix your hood problem. And create a hood problem on mine!

Nice try!
Once you get used to all those herspers the idea of losing any is worse than the problem of the hood.
Old March 7th, 2021, 10:36
NAXJA Member

Cool thread, just now read through the whole thing. Glad to see you followed through to "completion" (we all know this project will never be complete!). Looking forward to further updates after your return from overseas.
Old March 8th, 2021, 15:22
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdspearo View Post
Cool thread, just now read through the whole thing. Glad to see you followed through to "completion" (we all know this project will never be complete!). Looking forward to further updates after your return from overseas.

Thanks man!
Old March 21st, 2021, 01:13
Piece of Fish!

LSx power is amazing. Nice work.

I recently moved out of Cali, and do not have to deal with emissions testing again!

Down the road, hopefully sooner than later, an Ls of sorts is in my MJ's future.

like you, Forced Induction is not on the list/priority, but I won't complain if that happens.

As much as I want to keep my MJ a manual trans, now that I am aware that converting a 6L80E is that easy, including the click/tap shift I am not opposed to that idea.

As far as the harness, did you tell them what you wanted/not? Since my MJ is renix, the gauge "issue" should be minimal in comparison to the later model.
blistovmhz: Goddamn Canada. We're all rapists. Don't come here.
Old March 22nd, 2021, 07:34
NAXJA Member

Johnnie Walker,
Seems like we’ve met but it’s hard to remember.
As far as the gauge integration went the only one that is unusual is the tach since it is fed from the GM computer rather than directly from the position sensors. It really wasn’t that bad and the struggle was a result of my inexperience with this type of work. If I did another one it would be a breeze.
Your oil pressure, coolant temp, battery voltage, speedo, fuel gauge are all unchanged if you keep the XJ computer as a mule.
Oil and coolant temp is as easy as simply putting those sensors in the new engine.