NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old November 14th, 2018, 09:59
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Copper/brass heater core for less than $400?

Tired ordering a Vista Pro from a site listing them... they emailed me they no longer stock it...dang. Mine doesn't leak but the heat is far from great, I'm scared to open it up and put in a worse one...

I cant believe Chrysler hasn't resourced this part, the volume is huge, and its obvious the available options suck.
Old November 14th, 2018, 18:39
How 'bout it Gonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitexj98 View Post
I cant believe Chrysler hasn't resourced this part, the volume is huge, and its obvious the available options suck.
If we keep fixing our xj's...how will FCA manage to sell us one of those dodge darts with a weight problem theyre trying to pass off as Cherokees.
R.I.P."Buster" 86 laredo 2.8 ax5 10/85-9/17
In memory of Dave "Gonzo" Steele 1975-2008
Old November 14th, 2018, 20:42
NAXJA Member

(201) 338-2013 is the number for Dan at Radiator supreme -- 94$ for the heater core -- 18$ shipping anywhere in the lower 48 -- I'm not entirely sure how I like these guys, still no receipt from them for my purchase -- figure if I have a problem I'm going right to Thermal solutions for warranty -- I'll use my credit card statement for proof of purchase

I hope to pressure test the core this week -- should have time tomorrow

As for the evaporator I bought the Four seasons 54188 and I also bought the drier/accumulator 83106 from four seasons -- all from Rock auto -- I haven't actually opened the box for the drier but the evaporator looks to be of quality construction
Old November 15th, 2018, 17:54
NAXJA Member

So I got it rigged up to pressure test the heater core -- Put about 22 pounds of air into it and submerged the core into a tub of water -- No bubbles -- left it there for an hour -- pressure gauge stayed right where it started
Old November 20th, 2018, 15:52
NAXJA Forum User

Found a vista pro on eBay through some radiator sales company. Got it in today, it dropped shipped directly from Thermal Solutions. Looks just like the above, hopefully it performs well.
Old November 20th, 2018, 16:04
NAXJA Member

I did get it installed the other day -- the out of rectangle core didn't matter much the way it fits in the heater box -- The input and output tubes did need some bending to get them in the right place

The thermal solutions core was thicker than the core I took out -- Not sure if it's the stock core or not but it was copper brass -- I have pictures I'll post up once I get the chance

The big difference is in the horizontal radiator "tubes" -- the stock or removed heater core although thinner has more horizontal tubes for coolant to flow -- Substantially more -- 16 tubes for coolant flow on the vista pro -- 24 tubes on the one I pulled out -- although thinner the core I pulled out has more fluid filled surface area

I haven't run the jeep yet, so I have no comment on performance of the vista pro -- I hoping to get it running tonight -- all went smooth, I'm just being anal about cleaning all the previous owners dog hair out from under everything I removed to get at the heater box
Old November 27th, 2018, 17:16
NAXJA Forum User

I bought one too. Here they are for 84-9x:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HVAC-Heater...72.m2749.l2649

Is the new heater core dual row or single?
Old November 29th, 2018, 17:42
NAXJA Member

Thats a lot cheaper than what I paid -- in fact it's almost half what I paid -- I though I got ripped off

The new vista pro is single row
Old December 29th, 2018, 06:51
NAXJA Forum User

Ugh, this Vista Pro is our best bet, huh? I really hate the idea of paying someone for that spotty-looking build quality and negligent packaging...
Old December 29th, 2018, 07:31
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
Ugh, this Vista Pro is our best bet, huh? I really hate the idea of paying someone for that spotty-looking build quality and negligent packaging...
I got the Vista Pro and while itís build quality wasnít the same as the original, itís has been performing excellently ever since! I also posted a video to my YouTube channel that lets you see the difference between the original, the garbage aluminum ones, and the Vist Pro.

https://youtu.be/cmkFxxcqlUE
Old December 29th, 2018, 07:57
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben824 View Post
I got the Vista Pro and while itís build quality wasnít the same as the original, itís has been performing excellently ever since! I also posted a video to my YouTube channel that lets you see the difference between the original, the garbage aluminum ones, and the Vist Pro.

https://youtu.be/cmkFxxcqlUE
Thanks, Ben. I can snag one for about $70 right now, so while I have reservations, I can't wait forever as my HVAC overhaul is far overdue. Hopefully my usual bad luck takes a break this time.
Old December 29th, 2018, 19:45
NAXJA Member

I just watched that video above -- My experience with the vista pro was just about the same -- I did have to "tweak" the tubes to fit the channel -- also had to drill a hole in the mount because the included hole did not line up

I also ended up adding foam to the vista pro -- but what I added was too thick -- Made lining up the blend door with the mount in the upper half of the heater box a real PIA -- I ended up shaving down the foam I installed so it wouldn't push on the blend door area knocking it out of alignment

It's been running just fine but it's only been a month or so -- makes plenty of heat
Old January 2nd, 2019, 05:22
NAXJA Forum User

Well, I just got an email from the site that listed the Vista Pro as being in stock. It's not, and they also followed-up with a statement saying that they have no copper core heater cores at all which must mean entirely for all vehicles because the sender said this despite clearly not knowing my vehicle model (cuz she asked for it). It's looking more and more like our only options anymore are garbage or garbage.
Old January 8th, 2019, 11:36
NAXJA Member

I will only buy heating/cooling components from JeepAir. They are simply the best IMHO.

https://jeepair.com/heater-cores/che...ater-core.html

Their description says it all:

Jeep Cherokee original replacement heater core 2.5 and 4.0 liter engine. Core Size (H x W x D) 8 x 7 1/2 x 1 1/4 inches. Inlet: 5/8 and Outlet: 3/4 Factory OE Replacement heater core. Due to the labor time required for the installation we feel it necessary to only sell a quality product.

Last edited by tjmotter; January 11th, 2019 at 14:11.
Old January 10th, 2019, 20:07
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmotter View Post
I will only buy heating/cooling components from JeepAir. They are simply the best IMHO.

https://jeepair.com/heater-cores/che...ater-core.html

There description says it all:

Jeep Cherokee original replacement heater core 2.5 and 4.0 liter engine. Core Size (H x W x D) 8 x 7 1/2 x 1 1/4 inches. Inlet: 5/8 and Outlet: 3/4 Factory OE Replacement heater core. Due to the labor time required for the installation we feel it necessary to only sell a quality product.
Sure looks like the vista pro me ó at $79 itís definately not a mopar

Certainly worth a call to see if itís actually available for purchase