NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old November 11th, 2018, 07:37
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Everything you ever wanted to know about the AW4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bherm800 View Post
I got a question. So I have a 95 242 that was mated to a aw4 from same year. I'm trying to convert a 2000 2wd to 4wd. I bought the newer 99 trans because of electronics but now the tcase is the problem. The sensor on the 95 is different from the one on the 99. Can I just change the gear or pickup deal from the output shaft? As long as splines are good will this work or do I need to find a tcase from a 99-01

So you're putting a 99 AW4 auto and 95 242 xfer case into a 2000 XJ, right?

The 95 xfer case should bolt right up. The NP242J was basically unchanged for the entire run of the XJ. The spline count and length should match up between a 95 and 99 as well. If the output speed sensor is different, you should be able to swap that over.
Old November 11th, 2018, 12:24
NAXJA Forum User

Correct. I found the wire color crossovers so have that done. Now it's the one in the adapter left. It had a 3 wire plug but only 2 wires in it. Have the one from the 99 has a blue end on it. Can I just wire these together aswell. Haven't found color crossover for that one yet.
Old November 11th, 2018, 13:42
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bherm800 View Post
Correct. I found the wire color crossovers so have that done. Now it's the one in the adapter left. It had a 3 wire plug but only 2 wires in it. Have the one from the 99 has a blue end on it. Can I just wire these together aswell. Haven't found color crossover for that one yet.

You're talking about the tailcone of the xfer case? You should be able to unbolt the whole sensor and swap between the 95 and 99.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7lxHA7VCeI
Old November 11th, 2018, 19:50
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

What lawsoncl said.

Only thing I have to add is that the 95 tcase will have the older wet slip yoke design while your 00 would have the dry style. So you will need a rear driveshaft from a 91-95 with 4.0, aw4, 4wd, and the same rear diff as your Jeep. Or possibly swap a wet slip yoke onto a driveshaft from a 4.0, aw4, 4wd 96-01 with the same rear diff as yours, but I've not verified that that will be the right length.
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.
Old November 15th, 2018, 12:02
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebDog View Post
Dex / Merc III
How much?
Old November 15th, 2018, 14:37
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

Until it's full

I think it is around 12 quarts (or was it 12 pints?) but I'm not sure. I keep a gallon jug on hand and buy another anytime I'm gonna drop the pan on one, so it's never been an issue. The FSM probably contains this info if you want to verify my number... please do, I can't remember if it's correct.
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.
Old November 16th, 2018, 18:17
NAXJA Member

Everything you ever wanted to know about the AW4

I think a drain and fill is around a gallon.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Old January 10th, 2019, 14:37
NAXJA Forum User

My otherwise completely stock, never off-road, 1999 4x4 XJ's transmission ID plate, which is BLUE in color, says:
Aisin AW
(model): 30-40E
(date code):03HR

Does that date code mean that it has an '03 transmission in it?

The XJ only has 98K miles on it, none of it off-road, but I suppose it is not IMPOSSIBLE that a previous owner could have received a defective (97K seems like premature failure) original transmission from the factory, and had to replace it sometime after 2003.

It has the throttle-control cable to control line pressure, and is coupled to a 231 transfer case.

It also has an apparently VERY rare malady: When shifting, with vehicle sitting still, from P/R/N into D/3/1-2, the engagement is EXTREMELY harsh, whereas when shifting into R engagement is NOT harsh, and otherwise the transmission shifts smoothly up and down through all gears.

I did noticed from studying the hydraulic flow diagrams that when the transmission is shifted, standing still, from P/R/N into D/3/1-2 (into 1st Gear), NO accumulators are used to cushion the harshness of the shift, whereas when shifted into R the C2 accumulator IS used, so perhaps the problem is occurring in R, also, but it just isn't noticeable because the C2 accumulator is absorbing the harshness of the shift into R.

The above problem exists even with the throttle line pressure control cable completely disconnected, and so far the transmission shop has replaced the complete valve body and torque converter, and a shift kit was installed and then removed (not sure why he did that), and the transmission was completely rebuilt. The transmission shop was so stymied by all of this not solving the problem that after having it in their shop for 9 weeks they didn't charge me anything because they said that they don't charge if they can't fix the problem! His only advice was to replace the transmission, because he had run out of things to try to fix the problem on this transmission. He said he was going to even try replacing the CASE of the transmission, but it is unclear that he actually tried that.
I had another shop look at the complete drivetrain (motor/tranny mounts, drive shafts, transfer case, differential, etc.) and they were also convinced that it HAS to be the transmission. So was another experienced dealer-trained Jeep mechanic that had been around XJ's a LOT, so should recognize whether it is the transmission or not that is the problem.

At this point my options seem to be:
1. Drive it like it is until the harsh engagement breaks something else in the transmission.
2. Figure out a way to temporarily reduce the line pressure JUST for those manual shifts at a standstill into D/3/1-2 (hard to do, since even completely disconnecting the throttle line pressure control cable doesn't help).
3. Replace the transmission.
Old January 10th, 2019, 14:44
NAXJA Forum User

Oops, transmission model number is actually 30-40LE (I left out the "L")
Old January 10th, 2019, 17:09
NAXJA Forum User

TPS is also OK (.5 volts - 4.0 volts, smooth transition)
Old February 25th, 2019, 16:59
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastein View Post
It's perfectly fine, you won't hurt anything, just won't have lockup.

I suspect your problem is the sensor, but not sure. I suspect it could also be the NSS or TPS - what are the exact symptoms? No shifting at all? What gear does it seem to be in?

As luck would have it I just found the 87-97 tailhousing, sensor, 91-96 harness (not exactly sure on year) sitting in my stash of parts and I'm pretty sure I know where the 1pulse/rev magnet rotor is in my storage unit, if you end up needing it I can ship it to you for basically cost of shipping, it's not doing me any good. I'd really suggest building the electronics signal conversion box since it's easier (at least in my mind) and doesn't involve dropping the transfer case, just soldering stuff together.

Is building the conversion box the best way??? I tried to follow your schematic earlier but I totally got confused. Would you mind helping a newb??
Old February 25th, 2019, 21:42
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawsoncl View Post
I found this out the hard way too when I stuck a 99 AW4 into an 89 to replace the manual. I'm curious that you say it's not shifting at all though In my case, I found 99 tranny would trigger the 89 TCU just 4x too fast. It would shift about 1000 rpm and I was in 4th gear by the time I hit 20mph.

The circuit I stuck together way back in 2005 is still working great in the 89 MJ. Not bad since almost all the parts came out of my scrap parts bin and winging it. Holler if you want the pdf of the diagram. I think I still have it somewhere.

I would love the PDF of your signal converter !!! Putting a 98 aw4 into a 97 and I think itís the easier way to go (as long as I can sort out the circuit build and schematic!!!
Old February 25th, 2019, 23:30
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickie View Post
I would love the PDF of your signal converter !!! Putting a 98 aw4 into a 97 and I think itís the easier way to go (as long as I can sort out the circuit build and schematic!!!

Looks like my original links from 2005 still work. Just proves that nothing you post on the interwebs every really goes away!

http://myplace.frontier.com/~chris83..._Converter.pdf
(writing on left says input ranges from 0.1 volt to 30-volts)
http://myplace.frontier.com/~chris83803/board.jpg
http://myplace.frontier.com/~chris83803/box_mounted.jpg

I'm still amazed that the circuit I cobbled together from stuff out of my spare parts bin 13 years ago is still working.
Old February 26th, 2019, 05:46
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawsoncl View Post
Looks like my original links from 2005 still work. Just proves that nothing you post on the interwebs every really goes away!

http://myplace.frontier.com/~chris83..._Converter.pdf
(writing on left says input ranges from 0.1 volt to 30-volts)
http://myplace.frontier.com/~chris83803/board.jpg
http://myplace.frontier.com/~chris83803/box_mounted.jpg

I'm still amazed that the circuit I cobbled together from stuff out of my spare parts bin 13 years ago is still working.

Yes it does!!! Iím just having a hard time deciphering and reading it. ... sorry. Is there any way you can help?? Iíve literally never made a circuit board before and donít know where to even start...
Old February 26th, 2019, 06:44
NAXJA Member

The links were in the first post, I am not sure I would recommend the electrical circuit route if you've never built this kind of stuff before. It would probably be much easier for you to use a 97 or earlier AW4 or swap the magnet wheel on the output shaft than going this route. It only takes a couple hours to swap and earlier transmissions are far more common, at least around here.