NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old January 7th, 2019, 06:25
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Another Ball Joint replacement ?

Update: As the weather turned cold I noticed that the same ole pop was back. Not sure if I have a shock that's gone back (Bilsteins that are ~ 1 year old so should be good) or the drivers front hub (can't get any play out of the wheel when jacked up and prying on it) or maybe the front Differential Control Arm mount bushings. Those weren't replaced when I installed new UCA and LCA about 1.5 years back. Could be elsewhere... it's just a pain to try and diagnose this since the only time I can replicate it is during driving. :/
Old January 7th, 2019, 07:39
NAXJA Forum User

Iím betting money your pop is coming from track bar possibly joint at the mount which is where mine did it but I knew where the sound was coming from and had the new adjustable one in box at the time .
Old January 7th, 2019, 08:35
Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsnake View Post
Not sure if I have a shock that's gone back (Bilsteins that are ~ 1 year old so should be good) ...
Just for perspective, I had a Bilstein go south on its first trip. IOW, don't rule them out just on the basis of being relatively new.

Baby it's cold outside.
Old January 7th, 2019, 12:08
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey17 View Post
Iím betting money your pop is coming from track bar possibly joint at the mount which is where mine did it but I knew where the sound was coming from and had the new adjustable one in box at the time .
I've replaced the Track Bar recently and the joint on both ends should be good.... but it's something to check.
Old January 7th, 2019, 12:09
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
Just for perspective, I had a Bilstein go south on its first trip. IOW, don't rule them out just on the basis of being relatively new.
That's good to know. I may pull the shock just to see if the compression and rebound are good and strong. I don't see any shock oil coming from it but that doesn't mean it's not bad.
Old January 7th, 2019, 12:11
NAXJA Forum User

One other thing... Can the Front Driveshaft cause this sort of noise/pop? There is a little play in the 'pinion'? (where the front driveshaft connects to the rear of the front diff). Also, the part where you can grease my front driveshaft is loose and I can spin it around pretty easily. Not sure that description makes sense... but hopefully you all know what I'm talking about.
Old January 7th, 2019, 18:44
Stranger

Not having heard the noise it is going to be hard to give you a real answer, but the driveshaft can certainly make some intermittent noises that could be called a "pop".

The first thing I would worry about would be the centering ball, largely because that component is so often overlooked. It has a set of needle bearings in a cup much like the U-joints have at each corner, and as a general rule no one bothers to do anything to maintain those.

The only way to really rule out the driveshaft is going to be to pull it and run the joints through their range of motion in your hands. If you feel a hang-up somewhere in the range of motion then that could be your issue.

Baby it's cold outside.
Old January 8th, 2019, 05:55
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
Not having heard the noise it is going to be hard to give you a real answer, but the driveshaft can certainly make some intermittent noises that could be called a "pop".

The first thing I would worry about would be the centering ball, largely because that component is so often overlooked. It has a set of needle bearings in a cup much like the U-joints have at each corner, and as a general rule no one bothers to do anything to maintain those.

The only way to really rule out the driveshaft is going to be to pull it and run the joints through their range of motion in your hands. If you feel a hang-up somewhere in the range of motion then that could be your issue.
Thanks, I've been thinking I need to just removed the front driveshaft and see if the noise goes away. It would be an 'easy' way to eliminate or isolate the noise coming from that. Not sure why I haven't done it yet, other than time and motivation to just do it.
Old January 28th, 2019, 10:59
NAXJA Forum User

Still chasing this... So I had my wife come out and turn the Steering wheel while I was checking the suspension and it turns out there was a very slight bit of movement/play in the Frame Side of the Track Bar (ball joint area). So I replaced that w/a Moog part and noticed there was still a very slight pop still yet. Need to keep eliminating issues one at a time I suppose.

One issue I had and could use some pointers. How in the Heck do you bend that cotter key on the castle nut when reinstalling the new trackbar? There is no way to get a pair of pliers or bend that w/my fingers given the hidden location of the top of the castle nut / cotter key? Suggestions would be appreciated. I know this isn't the right way, but I put a blob of black gasket maker on there for now to hopefully keep it from vibrating out of there. Ugh

I also noticed I have a small leak now coming from somewhere up front. Not sure if it's coolant or power steering fluid. It's so slight that I only notice it after it's been parked over night. No drips or sprays yet when it's hot... so hard to track down. This thing is constantly under need of repair it would seem.