• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

EGR compatibility ?

edlepp

NAXJA Forum User
was wondering if an egr out of a 96 will work in a 90. also if you guys know anyother parts that would work. both are 4.0 auto's mine is the 90 the other is a GC that has been rolled. I live in a small town way up north and this is the only jeep that is here and the guy is sending it to the crusher so i would like to strip it for all the parts i might be able to use. any help would be great. I have pulled the rear brakes and master,the AC and brackets(OBA).

thanks for your time.

X2... EGR went away in 91 or 92 I think. I know my '90 2.5L engine has it (and your '90 4.0L), but my '91 4.0L does not have it.

The HO engines are pretty different, so are the body styles. Most of the suspension should transfer no problem. Is your EGR tube/valve leaking or something?

ETA: If you know the brakes were good on the '96, you can use the booster and master cylinder. The hard part is getting the booster's rod to make your brake lights work. MadXJ.com has a couple options. I used a new master and a remanufactured booster (all I could find) from a '96 in my '88. I had to grind a flat spot on the rod and use a paperclip for a shim to get the brake light switch to work. The shim wouldn't have been necessary if I had the patience to grind it and fit a couple times first. The brake function is vastly improved now and the light has been reliable.

You could swap engines, but that is over my head to explain. I think you need its computer and sensors to make everthing work right.

Last edited:
Last year for the EGR valve on the 4.0 was 90.

Back