• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broke down in Nevada, But all is Good Now

Black1990jeep

NAXJA Forum User
Well we went on a two XJ trip to Nevada from california and met third XJ owner there in Nevada for some fun four wheeling in the Minden area of Nevada. After a long day and night of wheeling, trail construction, we finally rested around midnight. The next day we went into town, when we got on the highway my friend noted a clunking noise. At the Minden Deli for lunch we look for the clunk, passenger side axle U Joint is toast, one cup missing. Ok no problem, we got spares, we pull the whole axle out to install the spre U joint but now find the stub axle U joint holder is bent, it will never hold the replacement U joint!

But about 20 minutes away is a pick and pull, with four XJs in stock! So off to pick and pull. rusted stub axle nuts are encountered, and that breaks our socket adaptor, some folks offer to help, but no one has the right tool, so off to Harbor Freight, NAPA, Tractor Supply , O Rielly, and finally we find the tool. then back to Pick and Pull, one hour before closing. out of four XJs we got one axle nut off and find the U Joint is not in good shape, but there was one XJ left, and we got that one apart. we ended up swapping the whole axle, and stub axle and that got us home!

Minden Deli was very nice about letting us work on the XJ in the back of their lot, under a shady tree. They also have great food!

anyway. you never know what may break, and cheapo harbor freight tools can be relied upon to break at the worse time (red chinese junk!)

it was still a great wheeling trip, and we met some very nice people. Thank God for Pick n Pull. as the autoparts stores would not be able to get a new stud axle for four days.

Of course who would have thought to carry a spare stub axle, we thought having a spare U joint was good enough, evidently we was wrong about that!

I think guys have mentioned carrying a shaft for each side with the Hub still attached.

Any 4x4 trip more than 100 miles from home and I add the spare front axle shafts with units hubs to the pack list. I pack a spare drive shaft also.

Yeah, I keep a spare shaft with the hubs on them for both sides anytime I go out.

Back