• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How good is the 8.25?

Wlf_02

NAXJA Forum User
I have 8.25 with locker in it(welded) I run 35s and i was wondering if it will hold up? I am building a rock crawler so I don’t really want to break it on the trail. Also have been thinking about going to a 8.8 but if the 8.25 is good then I’ll stick with it.

8.25 is a great axle. People run 35's on them all the time. As for breakability, well you're running a spool and if you're heavy on the skinny pedal your probably going to break sh^t. Keep some spare shafts and u joints. What gears your running?

8.8 isn't really an "upgrade" compared to a 8.25 on 35's. A ford 9 (is kind of) or tons is an upgrade but then you're getting into a whole other game.

It's a C clip axle so it's not quite as easy as "carry extra shafts". And when you break it, there's nothing holding the axle in place so you can't even get towed off the trail - unless you have disc brakes, a worthwhile upgrade. stopping power is one thing, keeping a broken shaft in the housing a rolling forward is the big reason you want discs.

locked 35's will be pushing it.

most explorer 8.8's had disc brakes so that's definitely heading in the right direction. got a buddy rolling 36" tsls on a locked 8.8. dana 44 would work as well

Last edited:
The Lincoln locker is your worst enemy. Get a good locker and if your worried about shafts just get some good ones and you'll have a pretty bullet-proof axle.

It's a C clip axle so it's not quite as easy as "carry extra shafts". And when you break it, there's nothing holding the axle in place so you can't even get towed off the trail - unless you have disc brakes, a worthwhile upgrade. stopping power is one thing, keeping a broken shaft in the housing a rolling forward is the big reason you want discs.

locked 35's will be pushing it.

most explorer 8.8's had disc brakes so that's definitely heading in the right direction. got a buddy rolling 36" tsls on a locked 8.8. dana 44 would work as well

Hi-Lift makes a good tire-holder-inner :D

hi-lift-handle-broken-axle-300x188.png

Nice pic... But that looks to me to be a TJ and would be a D35 not an 8.25... Just say'n

Well it's still c clip....

8.25 will work fine for 35s locked if you're not playing rock bouncer. I still think the Ford 8.8 is a good upgrade tho. Larger shafts and ring gear, most have discs already. I had one that I welded and worked great. Had less than $500 into to the whole swap, and I had factory 4.10s. biggest downfall to the 8.8 is it's c clip and the center section is definitely bigger than the 8.25. I found myself always dragging it. When I swapped tho I had a 35 so the 8.8 was a cheaper route than regearing an 8.25 to match.and going to discs was worth every penny.

I've been down both paths and on my last 2 XJ's I stuck with the 29 spline 8.25 that came in them for 35's. I did a Liberty disc brake swap on one and am running a ZJ D44 disc brake swap on my current one. On both I stuck with the factory limited slip in the 8.25 for a little extra piece of mind, but I have buddies running lunch box lockers in their 8.25's on 35's too and none of us have broken a stock shaft yet and there are chromoly options too.

The only real advantage the Explorer 8.8 has over the 29 spline 8.25 is the disc brakes, but for less money (and no welding) you can put disc brakes onto the 8.25, negating that advantage. The 8.8 is arguably stronger (I'd say good up to 37's compared to the 8.25 being good up to 35's) but they're prone to spinning tubes, you need to weld new spring perches and shock mounts on them, you need to buy the correct 1310 flange adapter or an adapted u-joint, and its slightly narrower than the stock axle. Yes, you can get c-clip eliminators for them which offers an even bigger strength advantage (although that'll make it slightly wider than the front axle) but realistically if you're running big enough tires to warrant all of that you really need to upgrade the front Dana 30. Once you start down that path there are a lot of better options for the rear axle that'll actually match the front axle you choose. IMHO the Explorer 8.8 is kind of an imbetweener weiner upgrade that isn't really worth the cost of admission over just keeping the 29 spline 8.25 that was offered in the XJ stock. I would even say its better to swap the D35 out for an 8.25 than go the 8.8 route because its a direct bolt in.

29-spline 8.25 is a good axle for moderate wheeling, buddy of mine runs his pretty hard with welded center but he is only 33s.

D44 is 30 spline, 8.8 is 31 spline, so both are stronger. Both have better aftermarket support and are easier to work on too (the 8.25 has its own setup tools and such). Not a bad axle though, find a carrier-based locker or LSD that you like, regear at the same time, be happy with it for a long time

I wonder how many people who are saying the 8.8 is not much of an upgrade over the 8.25 are actually running it? I guess it all depends, like other people have stated, on what type of wheeling you plan on doing with it. I previously had an 8.25 in my XJ and I am not sure if I would trust it with the wheeling I do now. I am running a D44 front and a Ford 8.8 rear, 37"s and a heavier rig with a hybrid cage. You can pick a 8.8 up from a JY off of an explorer for $150.00 . - so super cheap, you weld on some spring perches, weld the tubes and boom! beef! I am also running the Iron Rock gusset - just for some exrta strength. You can get the whole kit for $240.00 - https://www.ironrockoffroad.com/product/xj-ford-88-axle-swap-kit-w-truss.html The rear axle drive shaft flange adapter piece is $30.00

of course if you are not wheeling hard, the 8.25 could be good enough, and as stated a direct bolt in BUT

The great thing about the 8.8 swap is
1. Strong axle that can handle 37's
2. Numerous swap kits make it easy to swap in
3. Explorer axles can be found SUPER CHEAP -and are everywhere!
4. 31 spline axles
5. Come with disk brakes
6. Same bolt pattern 5x4.5 and super close in width to stock
7. LOTS of locker and limited slip options

There are beefier options out there, but more custom work is needed and are more expensive if you don't already have one (ford 9") or Dana 60's. I have been very happy with my 8.8 swap. and it has been a relatively cheap upgrade. If I eventually end up grenading it, I'll upgrade to something else!

20507275_10154835350237066_6550320467176455557_o_zpshibvt1bx.jpg

62480811_2556992847679444_4882698450510020608_n_zpsg7leeukl.jpg

Back