• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

STRANGE Noise!!

Quills

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1992 Jeep Cherokee with 177,000 miles. I have started to do some wheelin' in the past few years and I drive it over the mountain pass to and from college a lot. So I have this noise that has just developed in the past two weeks. It is an annoying chattering sounding noise. It increases with the speed of the vehicle. It sounds like it is coming from either of my differentials or my transfer case/transmission (god forbid). In a way it sounds like there is a loose metal part that is being thrown around in a metal case relative to the speed of the vehicle. Sort of high pitched too. My transmission clanks loudly evey time i put in drive as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

If the noise indeed speeds up with the vehicle speed, and especially with that loud clunk when drive is engaged, it sounds like a U-joint to me, mate. I blew the U on my '68 Olds doin a burnout, and the joint chattered at low speeds until I had it fixed. If you've been wheelin and lost a little traction, or had it flexed and the part was already set to go, that may have done it. The question is if the noise seems to diminish or stop randomly - that means the pieces have synced back up - it's still broken, but works, ya know? That would cofirm my theory. Anyway, that'd be my guess. Let us know what you find out.

Does it sound like a metallic version of a baseball card in the spokes of a bicycle wheel? Has the coming of the noise affected drivability any?

I had the sound I describe a couple years back - in my case, it was the pinion yoke on my rear axle that came loose. It wasn't too hard for the local mechanic to fix.

If I had to guess (and if I were you, I wouldn't be too quick to put a lot of money on my guessing), I'd suggest having someone give the axles, diffs (including the pinion yokes), and driveshafts a good looking over first.

The auto trans is pretty stout, and I don't see too many threads about the AX-15 5-spd failing without serious abuse, so I'd check the other parts first.

Do get it looked into soon - mountain passes don't sound like fun places to be stranded.

Good luck,

Rob

i have a 98 with what seems to be that same noise. ive had the noise for the past 2 monthes. its starting to get to my head and ive tried everything someone said sb bushing.. nope wasent that even though i need them. as of the other day i never really thought about u joints. i think thats what ill try next

xsubarudude said:
Loose honeycomb in Cat.Converter? maybe

Negative on that for mine any way. its load related not rev related and my cat is new. so that would mean i have a kitten....

Rob Mayercik said:
Do get it looked into soon - mountain passes don't sound like fun places to be stranded.
And it sucks to watch your drive shaft pass you on the highway...

Get it looked at for real. If a joint lets go, that end of the shaft will smack everything in the way under there. That turns it into a pretty expensive $10 part.

Back