• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with new purchase please

CherokeeVamp

NAXJA Forum User
Ok i might be a little off topic or not but I realy realy would like help on purchasing myself a Cherokee. I dont know what to look for in one of what would be the best configureation. Straight 6 of V6 2.8_4.0 I dont know I looking to purchase an 80's model and eny help would be so great mainly motor kind and size such as a Straight 6 or V6 and the size eny help would be so great

Don't go with the 2.8 liter V6, it is unreliable and doesn't have much power. If you go with the 4.0 liter, you will have to find one that is '87 or newer.

There isn't a straight 6 2.8, or at least not one used in the Cherokee. From 84-86, the engine options were an I-4 or the 2.8L V6, and that engine sucks. In 87, the 4.0L Renix-contolled engine was introduced, so that's your starting point for your search. Anything after 87...with the 4.0L I6.

It all depends on what you want to do. The 4.0ltr straight 6 is a very reliable motor. Overall i believe is a great motor. If you just want something to beat around town in your best bet would probably to go with a 4 cylinder with these gas prices. If you dont mind then go with the Straight 6. If you do decide to go with the Straight 6, but you only get it in 2 wheel drive, it is very easy to swap over to a 4 wheel drive.

have you checked the for sale section on here? there is always good stuff. from vehicles to what you need to fix it up. I have personally never baught anything off here but may be worth a check.. GOOD LUCK with your purchase

Take your time too I found my 87 for 1200 and it only had 15000 on the clock. Heck the a/c even works on this thing the only thing I've done to it so far is a new set of tires and a coolent cap.

Back