• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OBD Error Code 43, runs rough at restart

Jeff C.

NAXJA Forum User
Hi--

My 96 XJ (193k miles) runs very rough at start up, but only after it has been running, shut off briefly, then restarted. Fo example, if I drive it to the store it runs fine, but then when I return and start it again it runs rough, sputters and bucks for about 1 minute. Then it runs fine. Sometimes there is an intake backfire. It has been doing this for some time but recently has gotten worse.

Today, the check engine light came and the ODD error code says 43.

Does anyone have any advice? I assume it is an oxygen sensor or fuel injectors, but money is very tight and I don't want to replace any unnecessary parts.

Thanks!

obd code 43???

Can anyone interpret this for me? What can cause this problem? The check engine light went out but it still runs rough

Peak primary circuit current not achieved with maximum dwell time. Misfire detected in one or more cylinders 1 thru 6. (4 and 6 cyls.)

I'm assuming that the "43" your getting is from the MIL (check engine lamp using the key-on-off-on-off-on trick)? - scanning the code would prolly get you more data (P0351 is what that site lists for 43, but P0300 through P0308 will also flash a "43") All of those OBD codes are cylinder misses --

Look at your plugs (clean and gap em if you don't have the $$ to replace em) - that'd also be a good time to look at your wires and cap/rotor...

While this can also set with "multiple cylinder misfire" indicating more sinister stuff or just a crappy cap & rotor, if your plugs aren't fouled and the rest of the secondary system looks to be clean and fine, I'd suspect the this is could be due to a weak coil or a bad connection/mount on the coil itself.

The related codes in the OBD and OBDII systems are set by reading the flyback off of the coil, but can be set with a dirty injector (e.g.: the p0304 could indicate an injector issue in #4 cylinder - not electrical, that'd be a 26 or 27 on the MIL and a P0201 thru 6 on the OBD)...

Check the coil connections, moutning and grounding - and the electrical value for the coil itself -

CAUTION I'm going from memory on these numbers (Eagle? someone?)
-- the primary resistance should be between 0.95 and 1.25 ohms (at room temp - cool to the touch)

-- resistance between the primaries and the coil case should be infinite (NO connection - you may wanna measure this one hot sometime)

-- Resistance between the tower and the positive primary should be 11.3K to 13.3Kohms (OK to go to 15.3K ohms if it's a "Diamond" mfg coil)

Back