• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Check engine light and rough idle!

shelbyluvv

NAXJA Forum User
I was installing a standard connector on my U-Haul flat 4 connector tonight. I cut the old connector off and was probing the wires to make sure I got everything wired up right. I must have grounded out the wires because I blew the parking light fuse. I replaced the fuse and finished putting the new connector on. I went to start the Jeep and noticed the check engine light was on once it fired up. I shut it off and pulled every fuse from under the hood and fuse box and checked them. They are all good. I then disconnected the battery for 15 minutes hoping to reset the computer. Soon as it light up the light came on again. I let it idle for about five minutes and it started missing and sputtering. If I rev up the engine it runs normal but will miss at idle. If I restart the engine it runs fine for five minutes or so and starts acting up again. Any clue as to what sensor got grounded out by my trailer wiring?

This is on a 2000 XJ auto.

Nope, I must have grounded out all 4 o2 sensors. I replaced them with junk yard jewels and life is good. It runs perfect now.

Back