• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission mount/torque arm

XJ AV8R

NAXJA Forum User
Howdy all,

I have a 1991 Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0L, AX-15, and NP231. I just received a transmission/motor mount kit from Quadratec. Included in the kit is a torque arm and torque arm bushings. What the heck are these? I can't find them anywhere around my transmission's mounting point. A couple of other websites indicated that replacement torque arm bushings are available for the XJ, and they are located on the driver's side of the transmission. Evidently Quadratec isn't the only place that thinks my XJ needs these. Anyone run across these, or do I have the wrong kit perhaps? I haven't torn into it yet but the mount appears to be the same style... Thanks.

Maybe... I take it YJ's have a "torque arm"? If nobody else knows what it is, then I guess I'm not missing anything...this is the wrong kit.

New tranny mount question???

I was stupid and didnt search and read about doing this first. I figured couldnt be harder than an engine mount. Well i stuck the jack under the T-case and jacked it up, first mistake removed the cross member. Changed the mount then been trying to put it back together for the last hour. I have mounted the crosmember back to the tranny mount but i cant get the frame rail mounts to line up. I am about a half inch off. What the HECK. I have pushed on the tranny and it wont budge. hmmmmmmmm so I took the Xmember off loosened the big 18mm bolts and tried again with NO luck. Just getting irritated now. Will try again soon. Any Ideas i am welcom.

grab a punch...insert through one of the two holes on the side of the crossmember you're working on and into the frame hole.

pull the punch in the direction you need the crossmember to go to line up.

voila, insert bolt into the hole the punch isnt in.

XJ Stryker said:
New tranny mount question???

I was stupid and didnt search and read about doing this first. I figured couldnt be harder than an engine mount. Well i stuck the jack under the T-case and jacked it up, first mistake removed the cross member. Changed the mount then been trying to put it back together for the last hour. I have mounted the crosmember back to the tranny mount but i cant get the frame rail mounts to line up. I am about a half inch off. What the HECK. I have pushed on the tranny and it wont budge. hmmmmmmmm so I took the Xmember off loosened the big 18mm bolts and tried again with NO luck. Just getting irritated now. Will try again soon. Any Ideas i am welcom.

I finished mine a few weeks ago. At least you didn't have to drill out the crossmember bolts like I did! RUST:mad: I didn't have enough clearance to remove the trans. mount with the crossmember installed, even with the trans. (AX-15) jacked all the way up into the tunnel. I don't know how others get it out without removing the crossmember, but I see people talking about it all of the time, in the Haynes manual, etc.

Anyway, as to your problem, are you 1/2" off left to right or front to back? If it is offset left to right then you may have the mount in backwards. The transmission mount isn't symmetrical left to right and must be installed properly for the holes to line up...yes, I know from experience. If it is offset front to back then the only thing I can think of is that the engine/transmission/transfer case has migrated a bit during the install. You may try using your floor jack to reposition it. As your jack moves up, the arm doesn't go straight up, but arcs. If you can block the floor jack from rolling, you can use this to your advantage to push it all back in to place. Use a crowbar to keep the eng./trans./TC aligned as you lower it back down. Just an idea, but it will probably require some umph to get it to drop straight in to place. My motor mounts are tired so mine took a little coaxing, but not very much. You might check your motor mounts if you are having this much difficulty.

On mine I installed the crossmember first with the mount sitting loose, but in place. After the crossmember was tightened down I dropped everything into place and installed the fasteners for the transmission mount. I didn't have any of the problems you are having.

For your info, I have a '91 with the 4.0L, AX-15, NP231, so that's all I know about first hand:) Post back and let us know how it goes!

Good luck.

Well, for some reason none of the other replies showed up until after I posted. Glad you got it figured out...ignore my diarrhea of the mouth:D

Back