• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Auto trans rebuild

Macedo

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,
I´m new here in this forum and I have a cherokee xj 1998 and i´m rebuilding the auto transmission.
My automatic transmission model is AISIN 30-43LE. I think that this model is
the same of A340E. Am I correct?

Wich brand is a good one to buy a rebuild kit?
Where i could find online?

Thank You.

What? I thought that all 4.0L XJ's came with AW4's in them.

From that website it says your transmission is a 2wd. Did it come with 4wd, or was added later? And like Nine Mile said, it's probably cheaper to just buy a low mileage one from the junk yard. They're pretty tough transmissions but some haven't done well after a rebuild. As long as it has fluid in them the junkyard ones usually work well.

it's an aisin warner 4 or AW4 transmission. absolutely no doubt about that, so when you buy a rebuild kit that is what you want.

rebuilding an aw4 is almost considered dumb (no offense)..you can buy a good one to replace the entire transmission.

you cannot turn an aw4 2wd transmission into a 4wd without swapping output shafts...which would mean they had it completely apart already once. it's smarter and easier to buy a 4wd trans and drop it in if you're going from 2wd to 4wd.

as stated, if you have any junkyards or ability to get a good AW4 around where you live, do that before you rebuild it.

jeepcomj said:
it's an aisin warner 4 or AW4 transmission. absolutely no doubt about that, so when you buy a rebuild kit that is what you want.

rebuilding an aw4 is almost considered dumb (no offense)..you can buy a good one to replace the entire transmission.

you cannot turn an aw4 2wd transmission into a 4wd without swapping output shafts...which would mean they had it completely apart already once. it's smarter and easier to buy a 4wd trans and drop it in if you're going from 2wd to 4wd.

as stated, if you have any junkyards or ability to get a good AW4 around where you live, do that before you rebuild it.

My cherokee came with 4wd. In Brazil is not common to find this kind of transmission in junkyard. It´s cheaper to rebuild.

My transmission only have the problem with the gasket kit and seals. My friction plates and steel plates are not so bad. But considering that a master kit is around US$200,00 and i´ll pay US$700,00 just for the labor (mechanic), i think it´ll better to change the master kit and stay with a good transmission.

Why is not a good idea to rebuild a 4wd? Because the costs in USA between a rebuild process and a used one or the quality after the rebuild?

Cost of junkyard replacement vs. rebuild is likely the major factor for those of us in the U.S.

There's also the fact that these transmissions don't seem to fail that often, so there's fewer dead ones to need rebuilding.

Rob

yeah i really only see these trans. on wrecked vehicles at smaller yards - bigger like PAP will have them on the shelf ready to go most of the time - smaller yards will pull them for ya but they are not worth as much as other engines and trans. so they spend more time on engines, other trans, etc that are worth more - man for 700 you could just about swap a 318 or 350 and turbo 300-400!

yep. cheaper to swap an auto in than rebuild here.

I have one with 280,000 miles on it and it's going in a low miles cherokee right now cause it has a good 200,000 miles left in it most likely, and the xj it's going in needs to be 4wd not 2wd. if it blows up, the cost now is $0 (since I already have it) so replacing it with another used one wouldn't kill me at a price of ~$200

Back