• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how bad is black on black leather?

alwaysready

NAXJA Forum User
looking at a black on black leather limited 2000.
just curius on how bad the black leather can be in the summer.
i am in illinois if that matters, so anyone out there with black leather chime in...
wife has tan leather in her expedition and it isnt bad at all but black is another ball game

I have a black on black STS and it gets damn hot in the summer.

I usually use the remote starter with the AC set to 60 for 15 minutes or so and it's barley tolerable on 90+ days when sitting in the sun.

I usually try to find shaded parking when possible, but when I can't I know I'm in for a sauna.

tint the windows, even a light or clear tint will block 99% uv rays if you get the good stuff. it'll drop your inside temps by 20° or more in the summer

use clear tint. any tint shop should be able to get it for you, and still blocks UV which is what heats up your car. they use it on buildings with big windows like hotel lobbies to keep them from becoming solar ovens

I have a black Jeep with black/gray leather seats. I don't have A/C and it's brutal. Hoping to have A/C going again by this summer. I'd say if you have A/C go for it, otherwise I wouldn't.

Window shades, they are dorky but the wifes car is happy to have them! and the wife!

I've had a Black/Red Leather '85 Lebaron GTS and currently have Moss Green Pearl/Gray Leather '98 XJ Limited as well as living in Illinois. It'll get hot, I've got Vent Visors (can keep the windows cracked and not worry about rain ot it being obvious that the windows are down) and factory tinted windows on the '98 both of which helps alot as does those cheap window shades. All I could do on the GTS was leave the windows cracked to half open (wasn't too worried about it getting ripped off, no body would want it) or the suscreen.

I use a sun-shade and it helps tremendously. The sun-shade season started for me about two weeks ago, and will continue until october. With interior temps past 150 degrees, people don't mess around in phoenix. You'll be hard pressed to see a parked vehicle without a sun shade (dorky or not)...

Just as an fyi to anyone that finds this thread
there is not black leather in the cherokee it is called agate(dark grey)
so if someone says it has black leather or grey or dark grey its all the same color seems there were only 2 colors of leather agate(dark grey) and camel(tan)
Later

Do not do it! It will be way too hot!!

In preparation to a warm summer i just recharged the ac it was so low the low pressure switch was making it cycle... they have this new bottle at pepboys that has a gauge on it its like a tire pressure gauge fill it up till it runs a constant green area then your done. ha a trigger to add more let off to check it. use it on multiple cars..
better than the add a pound and hope its right :D
now to find a battery for the remote start :D
also go the garage door opener on so i can park inside at home when i get the garage cleaned up some..

Blaine B. said:
You can put tint on the front windows legally in Illinois. Just not too dark.

No sir.

Il. Chapter 95 1/2 Vehicle Code said:
(625 ILCS 5/12-503) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 12-503) 2 Sec. 12-503. Windshields must be unobstructed and equipped with wipers.
(a) No person shall drive a motor vehicle with any sign, poster, window application, reflective material, nonreflective material or tinted film upon the front windshield, sidewings or side windows immediately adjacent to each side of the driver. A nonreflective tinted film may be used along the uppermost portion of the windshield if such material does not extend more than 6 inches down from the top of the windshield.

You can "get away" with a light tint, if the rest of the windows are dark, but it is still illegal to tint the windows ahead of the B piller.

As far as enforcement....depends on the cop, the day, and the situation.

Rev

Last edited:
Back