• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help with OME lift

steventure

NAXJA Forum User
Bout to order the OME lift for my 97, the one Q-tec sells for 855. Will be running 30s with this lift. Want to make sure I got everything else I need to do this right. I did an OME lift on my TJ but this will be my first time lifting an XJ so I just have a couple questions. The coils is comes with are 2930 which advertise 1.5" and leafs CS033RB 3". Some people say remove one of the leafs.

I'll be doing a rear bumper/carrier which weighs 175lbs and I have a bit of camping gear in the back regularly. So maybe just leave the leaf pack and see how it sits?

My front worn out coil spring isolators. OEM replacement or ones a little bigger?

Also in my cart are OEM Crown leaf bushings and shackles, and a RE U-bolt kit. That work?

I see people using the Moog DS1235 track bar for low-ish lifts since it's a bit longer. Thoughts?

Bumpstops. I've done hockey pucks for the front before, but what should I do for the rear leafs?

Control arms I haven't decided on yet. Waiting to see if Metalcloak has a Labor day sale this year. Also need brake lines and possibly Novak t-case cable shifter.

Am I missing anything or does anyone see something I should change, thoughts and advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Unless you can find information that says Crown leaf bushings are Clevite I would not choose the Crown bushings. Generally speaking Crown products are the choice of last resort.

I went with Moog when I installed mine.

Note that these need to be pressed in.

Bout to order the OME lift for my 97, the one Q-tec sells for 855. Will be running 30s with this lift. Want to make sure I got everything else I need to do this right. I did an OME lift on my TJ but this will be my first time lifting an XJ so I just have a couple questions. The coils is comes with are 2930 which advertise 1.5" and leafs CS033RB 3". Some people say remove one of the leafs.

I'll be doing a rear bumper/carrier which weighs 175lbs and I have a bit of camping gear in the back regularly. So maybe just leave the leaf pack and see how it sits?

My front worn out coil spring isolators. OEM replacement or ones a little bigger?

Also in my cart are OEM Crown leaf bushings and shackles, and a RE U-bolt kit. That work?

I see people using the Moog DS1235 track bar for low-ish lifts since it's a bit longer. Thoughts?

Bumpstops. I've done hockey pucks for the front before, but what should I do for the rear leafs?

Control arms I haven't decided on yet. Waiting to see if Metalcloak has a Labor day sale this year. Also need brake lines and possibly Novak t-case cable shifter.

Am I missing anything or does anyone see something I should change, thoughts and advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I can comment on a couple things:

Leaf packs:Leave them as-is to start since you're going to be keeping a bunch of stuff in the back - I think that's the same packs I just put into my jeep a couple years ago, they were rated as 2", medium duty and they ended up giving me closer to 4".

Coil Isolators: Start with a fresh set of OEMs, but keep the old ones - you can stack those to adjust the front-back rake after the lift, but I'm not sure how many you can get away with (I have ACOS up front on my truck).

Control Arms: I ran the stock ones for a while after lifting, but I found they didn't hold up on the trails as well with how I was wheeling it. I ended up going adjustable for both upper and lower (means you can dial them out a little bit as you go higher without buying new ones), but not all at once - I did adjustable lowers and stock uppers for a couple years, and did fine.

Also, don't be surprised if you have to add either a 1-inch Tcase drop or do an SYE on the tcase - driveline vibes are very common with the later models due to the rear output design. At the very least, if the ujoints in the rear driveshaft aren't relatively new, it might be worth just replacing them when you do the lift so you're starting without an old wear pattern.

At 1-2" lift, longer brake lines are not required. If you are buying brake lines as a maintenance item, get the longer ones. Longer bump stops are not required, but will not hurt. Hockey puck in front and UpCountry length rears, or just add a spacer between bump stop and frame rail. Novak cable shifter is not required, the http://www.boostwerksengineering.com/ shifter is less expensive, yet worth the money. Use whatever size poly coil spring spacer is necessary to level out.

Don't forget sway bar disconnects. Consider an SYE.

Last edited:
At 1-2" lift, longer brake lines are not required. If you are buying brake lines as a maintenance item, get the longer ones. Longer bump stops are not required, but will not hurt. Hockey puck in front and UpCountry length rears, or just add a spacer between bump stop and frame rail. Novak cable shifter is not required, the http://www.boostwerksengineering.com/ shifter is less expensive, yet worth the money. Use whatever size poly coil spring spacer is necessary to level out.

Don't forget sway bar disconnects. Consider an SYE.

Yep forgot about the sway bar, thanks. What’s the length for the UpCountry rear bump stops? I see 4.1” snubber from Crown and Omix for cheap.

I have the Novak one on my TJ, I like the fluid motion. I’ll check out the. Boostwerks one too never heard of them.

Thanks

I'm presently doing a 2" lift too. I thought about OME springs, but wanted to keep cost down. That didn't work out to well. Spent more than intended. I went with some front springs from IRO, for about $110. Then I went with the Crown Upcountry rear leafs. I also used the Crown bumpers Front and rear and the spring bushing for the rear. Not fun putting the Crown bushings in the Crown rear springs. I went with KYB Monomax shocks for a YJ for the front. IRO had a close out on some shocks for the rear. I think Doetsch Tech.
I did get some OME 3.5 rear leafs a few years back from DPG Offroad. He recommended Clevite if I could find them. I bought some MOPAR, as I heard they were Clevite. Not cheap. They did go in fairly well. The larger end took some doing. I haven't installed them as my builds are changing.
On brake lines, I installed some YJ fronts initially. They did work on the stock brakes. I did a WJ Big Brake conversion. They didn't fit for the new caliper position. I bought some Raybestos 3-4" lift ones.

https://dpgoffroad.com/jeep-cherokee-xj/

Last edited:
UpCountry rear bump stops are about 1" longer than stock. Almost everything OmixAda and Crown Automotive I have purchased for XJ or CJ-7 was a disappointment. The parts either fit poorly, wore out quickly, or did both at once.

Buy Clevite.

UpCountry rear bump stops are about 1" longer than stock. Almost everything OmixAda and Crown Automotive I have purchased for XJ or CJ-7 was a disappointment. The parts either fit poorly, wore out quickly, or did both at once.

Buy Clevite.

Duly noted

I did the OME lift on my 93 two door, and I do love it.

The rear springs are the CS033RA, and I did not take out any of the leafs (Dirk at DPG advised me to maybe think about it).
Even without a heavy load in the back the Jeep rides really nice too.

My reasoning behind that, was the fact I did install a XRC bumper & tire carrier, as well as a roof rack. Then there is the fact that I often have to carry heavy loads in the back of the Cherokee (sound equipment).

I bought my OME Hybrid kit from Dirk over at DPG offroad, and he is a wealth of knowledge. He also sells a really nice rear bump-stop system that they make. One oter thing is he will put together a kit for you based on your needs, and not sell you something you don't really need.

One other thing is I bought my spring bushings from Rockauto.com. Dirk only had the crappy Crown bushings, and those are the worst! I had bought some for my FSJ, and they lasted a whole two months.
SO I did pony up and bought the Dayton bushings for the rear springs, and bought the Dorman shackles for the rear.

Crown strikes again! haha. Yea I got my TJ lift from Dirk a few years ago. Quadratec has free shipping and gets to me faster which is the only reason I was considering going through there. Sounds like you went for a similar setup I'm aiming for, rear bumper/tire carrier and a bit of payload. Maybe I'll just give him a call.

Back