• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coil Spring bottom retainer clamp, advice needed

MachineMan

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone have a better solution than the stock coil bottom retainer clamp? My bolts are stripped and the springs shift around making awful creaking noises. Also the stock clamp is barely enough for larger coils.

CoilRetainerBoltDSC00797Small.jpg

Is there an aftermarket clamp or heavy duty retainer avialible? Something bolt on becuase I have no welder.

Drill out the stripped hole, and use a bigger Self Tapping bolt.

Or, There are some Conduit clamps that might fit around the larger spring.

use a nut on the bottom. is there a way to get under there? I havn't looked.

Not the ultimate solution but I just ran a larger bolt through the stripped out hole and is still holding tight, even after removing the coils a time or 2. Dont know the bolt size but I was able to do it without drilling.

just take them off...

Renegade Jpr said:
just take them off...
One side already fell off. The problem is the springs shift around on bumps and sharp turns making loud popping-creaking noises. They usually slide up against the axle ball joint arm.

The thing is, that's just an added measure of safety.

Think about it. when you are driving/wheeling, the ONLY way you'll un-seat a coil is of you have massive droop. Unless you are running LA's the odds of that happening on the road, or trail are about nil...And if you are running spacers up front..the odds drop even more.(spacers push the axle down on the perch.)

While wheeling in moab, I noticed my spring clamps had worked themselves loose aswell.

Even with 6 1/2" rustys coils, and a 2 inch spacer, I still can get the spring to unload atleast 4 inches at full droop between the spring mount and spacer. This can't be goin on.....

I was thinking about trying to get some yoke U bolts, (holds ujoint to yoke) and drilling holes in the spring mount all the way though with the lockwashers that came with the ubolts.

I don't believe the spring would move around and get bound up on stuff and make all kinds of noise with a u bolt holden er down.

I'll have to look but I'm pretty sure you can find a place on both sides to do this.

Its what I'm going to do... I'd send some pics but It will be a little while before I get back down to my truck in CO.

Good luck!

Back