• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5.13 or 5.38 gears?

moparcyco

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the process of getting my new high pinion 60's set up.I want to run a 37-38 in tire have not decided wich yet but will be close to one of those.Also running a slightly warmed over 4.0 so to those who run this big of a tire which do you think is the best gear all around?

AW4,241OR,also this rig sees a liitle of everything snow,mud,rocks,sand,moab daily.thanks for your input

The 5.38s were not available for the 14 when these were built only 5.13 the difference is not worth me to swap to 5.38s due to cost for 2 tenths ...But in your case I'd just do the 5.38s they will help a little bit more to keep you going on the road ...not much it's only 2 tenths ,but everything helps when you have a 5,000lb rig and a 4.0 under the hood .

since you are starting from scratch id go 5.38. hell if they made 5.89s for the 14b Id recommend that.

I would not recommend a HP60 center section in the rear, id go straight to a 14b.

I run 5.38's in a HP60 rear with 35's, and wish I could go deeper. ;)

Theres no strength difference in 5.13 vs 5.38, so you may as well go with where you're going to get the power.

Nope. We have 3 King of the Hammers on this one with a big stroker and 35's, and 2 KOH's on another one with a big stroker and 40's. No problems with either of them.

I used to daily drive on this one with 37's and have never been anything but impressed by it.

I understand that 'in theory' they are weaker than other axles, but in practice they seem to be way more htan enough.

Damn Cal. I did not realize you were on a hp rear. Good to know. The driveline angle is sweet with a rear hp center.

Keeps the rear end out of the rocks too, which is the reason that we did it. Trail rig had a 35 spline HP60 rear, race car had a 35 spline LP44 rear, so we swapped them. Effectively the same strength, except that we were breaking drivelines on the race car and the trail rig mostly held a tarp off of the ground.

My brother went 5.13 in his MJ on 37s and wished he had gone 5.38.

I went straight to 5.38 on mine.

I found the absoulute best gearing for my XJ on 44s to be 3.73s ...That are in the axles on the Dodge that tows the xj on a trailer ...:dunce:

Back