• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

p0700 and P0705 with new NSS

maybe2fast

NAXJA Forum User
!!!1

I know this is a million threads old, but I feel I have possibly a unique situation.

I replaced the NSS with a eBay NSS, due to the fact that I broke the old one trying to remove it for cleaning. I had a P0700 and a P0705 with no reverse lights. Pried the aluminum slip piece off the selector shaft and replaced the switch. Starts in P and N and Reverse has lights! Perfect!

Then I clear the codes with the ELM327 bluetooth device and the light goes off, and then comes back on after 1 restart...same codes :(

I checked the switch connection and found a loose pin in the harness and repaired that (popped it back in) and cleared the codes again...still hard codes come back right away.

Could it still be a bad adjustment with all things working?

Maybe try these steps for erasing the codes and resetting the PCM.

This procedure will erase the 1996+ OBD-II “Adaptive Memory” stored inside the PCM and allow a new “Adaptive Memory” to be developed. After performing this procedure the PCM will re-learn and store into Adaptive Memory your engines performance characteristics. Perform these steps exactly as they are written, in the order they are written. This will cause the adaptive memory in the PCM to be erased and cause the PCM to go into Fast Learn adaptive mode.

Disconnect the POSITIVE battery Terminal clamp and touch it to ground ( not the battery negative terminal ) for 30 seconds. The engine block or the A/C compressor pump will work as a ground. (This is to discharge the PCM capacitors, which maintain the Adaptive Memory).

Reconnect the Battery Cable
Turn Ignition Switch to the “On” position but DO NOT start the engine
Turn Headlight “On”
Turn Headlights “Off”
Turn Ignition Key “Off”

The PCM Adaptive memory has now been flashed, or erased from the PCM. When you start the engine it will be running off a set of pre-programmed tables that come with the PCM from the factory. When you get the engine up to operating temperature the PCM will start to collect data for the “Adaptive Memory”. The PCM will collect data for Adaptive Memory for the first 50 Warm-up Cycles.

Here's some P0705 possible causes:

P0705-RANGE SENSOR

When Monitored: Continuously with the key on.
Set Condition: No Transmission Range Sensor signals are received or two conflicting signals are received from the Transmission Range Sensor at the same time by the TCM.

POSSIBLE CAUSES

PCM PARK/NEUTRAL DTC’S PRESENT
INTERMITTENT WIRING AND/OR CONNECTORS
FUSED IGNITION SWITCH OUTPUT OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE
TRS 1-2 SENSE CIRCUIT OPEN
TRS 3 SENSE CIRCUIT OPEN
TRS OVERDRIVE SENSE CIRCUIT OPEN
TRS REVERSE SENSE CIRCUIT OPEN
TRS 1-2 SENSE CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
TRS 3 SENSE CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
TRS OVERDRIVE SENSE CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
TRS REVERSE SENSE CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
TRS 1-2 SENSE CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
TRS 3 SENSE CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
TRS OVERDRIVE SENSE CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
TRS REVERSE SENSE CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
TRANS RANGE SENSOR-SENSE CIRCUIT
TCM-TRS SENSE CIRCUIT INPUTS

If you want you can check the TCM inputs t see if there's an input fault or the TCM is at fault.

Follow the instructions below. Use a manual ranging digital volt/ohmmeter. Use safety pins to probe the TCM connector pin cavities.

Read through the pin out diagram and the instruction sheet completely before beginning.

tcmpinout.jpg

TCMChecks.jpg

I had a similar problem with NSS, getting same P0705 code.
I bought a new one (Omix-Ada), and installed today.
Before hooking up I tested the pin connectors with my multimeter to make sure it was correctly aligned on the side of the transmission.

Everything seems to work except for "N".
And I can't figure out why.
How could it be that every position, except for "N" works?
Consequently enough I can't start the vehicle in "N", although I really never would need to.

I find that there isn't much room to play with on the side of the transmission as far as adjustment goes, so I also don't believe it has to do with the adjustment of the NSS but I don't know what else it could be.

Anyone experience this?

The code hasn't come back on yet, but if it does I'm sure I'll wind up with the same symptoms (loss of OD).

I have not experienced any of these type of difficulties, but I have always used genuine Jeep parts. All the Crown Automotive and Omix-Ada parts I have purchased have suffered from a poor fit, a short service life, or both at once. Cheap parts are cheap for a reason. You should test the circuits as described above and may be able to determine if the switch is out of adjustment, or out of tolerance in construction.

I have not experienced any of these type of difficulties, but I have always used genuine Jeep parts. All the Crown Automotive and Omix-Ada parts I have purchased have suffered from a poor fit, a short service life, or both at once. Cheap parts are cheap for a reason. You should test the circuits as described above and may be able to determine if the switch is out of adjustment, or out of tolerance in construction.
Unfortunately you may be right.

I tested all the circuits and everything checks out, except "N".

I had the car in "N" while a friend probed the circuit for me and I adjusted the NSS from left to right. No dice.

I did find it funny though that in reverse, I can move the NSS to its limits left and right and the lights still stay on.

I feel like I'm not getting full range of motion with the NSS, but can't imagine how else to increase it.

So I bought a new Mopar NSS for almost $300, to at least benchmark the current Omix-ada one that I have.

My plan is that if I install the OEM one, and it works in "N" then I know Omixa-Ada is faulty and I can return it as such.

If the OEM NSS does not work, then there must be an issue outside of the NSS and its connections that I'm not aware of at this point.

I'll probably just remove the CEL indicator bulb on the meter since I would have no clue where to look if this is the case.

Should know by Monday.

Well, the new NSS works. At least it shows very little resistance when placed in "N", so that I know the circuit is closed. I guess time will tell though to see that the P0705 CEL code stays off since the NSS now reads correctly in all gear positions.

So off top return the Omixa-Ada NSS....

Back