• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

P0700, P0705 97 XJ

Fred

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
170k miles. Jeep runs poorly under load, idles and revs smoothly in neutral.
Codes are transmission control system malfunction and transmission range sensor circuit malfunction. Connector to the AW-4 unplugged? Drove it to Brighton and back recently with no issues.
I haven't messed much with auto trannies, so I need a clue. :)

Are those NSS codes? New ones aren't quite as bad as they used to be.

Yeah, I'm with Jacobs on this one. 700 code is the TCU having issues, and the 705 code is something wrong with the range selector (which is the NSS). First check to see if thegbolt that holds the NSS in position is loose (they can be clocked a bit and bolted down like a distributor.) If that's tight, remove and hive the NSS a good cleaning/re-lube and reinstall. If it persists, the TCU is probably going bad. If you need the TCU, it's specific to the '97 model year. No other years work....... Yeah, I found that out the hard way.

^^Yup, NSS is due for a cleaning. My 98 was throwing those exact codes when I bought it. The PO did not want to invest in a new part or the labour to install so discounted the Heep by a chunk. Oh BTW, the PO was the local Dealership...

Took me less than an hour to remove, clean, regrease (dielectric remember), install and adjust. Only tricky thing is the small springs under the contacts. Easy to lose so, watch them. I used a bit of scotch bright to polish the contacts after removing all of the cooked grease. Easy-Peasy. You are here in the Springs so, I could help if you like!

I'm tempted, but... I drove it in the driveway today, and stepping on the brakes causes the beast to die. I checked for vacuum leaks visually, and pulled off the hoses to the brake booster, and one off of the throttle body. Plugging those hoses made no change in idle. Those are symptoms of a brake booster gone bad, and it still shows the codes.
My problem is that I don't have a whole lot of time to play with it. I'm taking tomorrow off to deal with my mother's future, but I still have a floor pan to finish installing in the 90 so I can install the roll cage. Not that it needs a roll cage for COfest, but, hey, that was my goal.
I might just buy the cheapest parts I can off of Amazon and replace both the NSS and the booster. Might just give it to Butch to fix. Then again, if they would just lay me off problem would be solved.

Back