• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question on After Market Front Axle Shafts

oldbill

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Limited with the 4.0L, automatic transmission and the Selc-Trac transfer case. I have regular power brakes, no ABS, and my current front axle shafts have u-joints in them. While surfing the Internet I came across front axles made by GPS. For the front axle they list two model numbers, depending on the side NCV82010 and NCV82011. Both are listed as a fit for my vehicle. The 2 big differences that I noted are that they are cv jointed axles and they appear to have tone rings on the outboard stub axle. Has anyone tried these or have any information as to whether or not they will work and what the advantages or disadvantages would be. One of the reasons I'm asking is that they are considerably less than axle shafts by Doorman or other companies.
Thanks,
Bill

I would double check the application as those sound like Grand Cherokee shafts.

According to my search they don't fit our axles at all!

For the XJ and ZJ Dana 30 front axle, the CV and the u-joints axle shafts are interchangeable. XJ Cherokee ABS may not function with CV axle shafts. CV axles are bit smoother in operation, are not as strong, and are not DIY rebuildable when the joint wears out. U-joint axles are stronger, will likely last longer, and are rebuildable when the joint wears out.

If the stock axle shafts are not damaged, install some fresh u-joints, and they will be good for another 150,000 miles.

If the stock axle shafts are not damaged, install some fresh good quality u-joints, and they will be good for another 150,000 miles.

Stay away from low quality u-joits as I find that they fail almost as if they're on a timer.

Back