• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best Source for Replacement AW4 Transmission Solenoids

deepcreek

NAXJA Forum User
I'm working on a 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0 2WD that just turned 100,000 miles last week. The the next day it stopped wanting to shift from 1st to 2nd.

I checked the codes and got P0700 and P0733. I have read a lot of threads on here about testing and it looks like Solenoid #2 (A) is bad.

Here's where I get confused - Solenoid prices are all over the board. I usually prescribe to the mantra that you get what you pay for but I'm not sure if that's the case here.

Some folks recommend the eBay solenoids, others recommend salvage yard solenoids, and a few say anything but OEM is crap.

I am also seeing ad's that state "this is the updated design and half the size of the tan ones they are replacing." Honestly, that makes me a bit nervous.

I've seen online reviews of the cheap kits complain that the brackets are backwards or the bolt holes are too small or they stop working after 1,000 miles. Others seem to love them.

All the contrary information is making my head spin.

Any recommendations or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

This is my 80 year old mother's car that my Dad gave her for Christmas back in 1997. She loves it and I want to keep it rolling for her.

Thanks for your help!

Joe

Back