• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Parasitic draw problem

Sullie

NAXJA Forum User
88 xj
Battery dies over night decided to pull all fuses to see if it still happens, it does. Did a draw test battery wasnt fully charged it was at 10.7 did test and draw is at 10.67... what could it be to be pulling that much with no fuses in?
d9b7c584bce7007ab5bb8cac398b3523.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Yes stereo run to fuse panel how do I check to see if it is the starter pulling it

I can’t quite see your meter, but I think you may be doing that wrong.
An in line amperage measurement needs to be done on the dc amps setting.
A “normal” draw on such an old vehicle will likely be very close to 0, and certainly less than 25 ma.

I may have done it wrong, it's completly possible. I have attached a diagram of how I did it, if i did do it wrong can someone tell me the correct way with the correct symbol... I did it on 20DCV( V WITH straight line and 3 dashes under it)
0a1199cb87d32c379af90dfba7dd2eda.jpg

You should on "DC amps" not volts! Take a good pic of your meter.

Everyone is missing the obvious -- red top optima at 10.67 volts -- The battery is bad

Will it recharge? Will it hold the full charge overnight totally disconnected from vehicle? I doubt it.

Everyone is missing the obvious -- red top optima at 10.67 volts -- The battery is bad

Will it recharge? Will it hold the full charge overnight totally disconnected from vehicle? I doubt it.

Agreed. Those AGM batteries tend to get a "memory" to them. When they get low, they don't like to re-charge. If it was me, I'd take the battery to a parts store or automotive shop and see if it can be re-charged and then go from there.

Ran into a similar problem at work this week and my goof of a service adviser/manager had me pulling all sorts of fuses and crap and was basically wasting my time because he doesn't know how to read a freakin' multimeter. I had already tested the battery and it came out bad, but I figured that might have been due to a low charge, so I was re-charging it to re-test it when said goof jumped in... :smsoap:

Oh yeah, to test for a parasitic drain, you'll want to disconnect your ground cable at the battery and connect your meter leads between the cable and the battery. You may have to swtitch the leads around on your meter as well. If you have an auto-ranging meter, don't be a goof and accidentally read the thing either...

read the volts across the battery with loads removed, ie disconnect the ground strap.

to measure parasitic draw read amps between the negative battery terminal and the disconnected ground cable. make sure no accessories are turned on, engine is off when doing this test.

report back.

good luck

ps the draw test should ideally be performed with fully charged battery.

Back