• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My take on looking for a quality job

Gerr

NAXJA Forum User
Im looking for a quality job, you know the type with some sort of benifits and ok pay and a boss who can still be your boss without being the anti-christ. I dont think Im asking a whole lot there, so I put my resume out and fill out applications etc and one day I notice theres a new 4X4 shop opening.......(In my head Im screaming score!) so I go and drop off my resume. I dont hear anything for about a month so I figure its not going to happen then this morning I get a call and it basicly goes like this.

Him:Hi is this Dan?
Me:Yup thats me what can I do for you?
Him:Im Rick and you dropped off your resume at my shop a few weeks ago.
Me:Oh cool
Him:I see you have a lot of off road experience and a good deal of equipment experience, you went to UTI and build your own parts now.
Me:Yeah I do, Id like to try and make a living from my hobby now and get away from working on things bigger than a house.
Him: (laughes) I can understand that. Id like to offer you a job but I dont think I could pay you enough to keep you. Your over qualified
Me:Well why dont I come to the shop later today and we talk about it, Id really like something close to home and Im flexable on the pay at this point

it goes on for another couple minutes of us both asking questions and Im still going to go talk to him but a recurring statement was that Im over qualified to work in his shop. I dont understand that, to me if I could get a guy with good experience good skills and a willingness to work on something he enjoys doing for less than if he were working farther from his home Id be all over highering the guy.

Anyone have some insight

Ill post up again after I go talk with him this afternoon.

From my experience 'you're overqualified' can mean a few things.

1. you have more experience than me and I'm afraid you'll be gunning for my own job in a short time (probably not the issue here as the guy is the owner :D)

2. we can only afford to pay you half of what you're probably worth

3. I have low self-esteem and a poor self-image and its easier for me to minimize my own abilities and contributions to the world and maximize your own as this perspective and position is easier for me to maintain and not feel threatened by others skillsets.

:D

One of his is concern is that you're going to get bored. If you're a decent fabricator, are you going to be okay with bolting bumpers on mall crawlers for years?

He's also got a concern about pay, in spite of what you're saying (both of you need to make sure you're talking about the same scale.) If you're really interested in the position, one of you is going to have to put out a hard number, the other will take it or leave it.

ChiXJeff said:
One of his is concern is that you're going to get bored. If you're a decent fabricator, are you going to be okay with bolting bumpers on mall crawlers for years?

He's also got a concern about pay, in spite of what you're saying (both of you need to make sure you're talking about the same scale.) If you're really interested in the position, one of you is going to have to put out a hard number, the other will take it or leave it.
Id rather bolt on a bumper for a mall crawler than bolt together 300 feet of crane boom or spend 6 hours upside down welding up a cutting dog like ive been doing for years, but I definatly see your point

Beej said:
From my experience 'you're overqualified' can mean a few things.

1. you have more experience than me and I'm afraid you'll be gunning for my own job in a short time (probably not the issue here as the guy is the owner :D)

:D

I run in to that #1 and probably #3 a lot, took me a while to catch on, had to dumb down my resume, big time.

Gerr said:
Id rather bolt on a bumper for a mall crawler than bolt together 300 feet of crane boom or spend 6 hours upside down welding up a cutting dog like ive been doing for years, but I definatly see your point

I'll be surprised if he can offer you a third of what you would be making doing that stuff.

Good luck.

ok well i went to see him and we talked for a bit of time. I learned he has never had a business before, is coming from a retail environment, and the job hes has he is quitting in 3 weeks when the shop actually opens. he showed me some of the equipment he bought and to be honest it was less than what id consider functional for a 4x4 shop. but that is besides the point that he made me a offer and Im going to consider it but as ecksjay stated it isn't much more than minimum wage.

Back