• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99, both brake lights out?

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
I say both because the upper hasn't worked for a while, I figured it needed a bulb.

Anyway a nice guy pulled up next to me on a motorcycle and told me my brake light's aren't working. Sh%t!

Blinkers work, reverse lights work, driving lights work.

Both #7,23 fuses good
I even removed the whole junction block and sprayed it out with electronic cleaner.
I never open the back hatch, do I figure use key up for some go to areas on a 99,

Where should I start guys? Just another electric problem to go with my others, sweet:doh:

I say both because the upper hasn't worked for a while, I figured it needed a bulb.

Anyway a nice guy pulled up next to me on a motorcycle and told me my brake light's aren't working. Sh%t!

Blinkers work, reverse lights work, driving lights work.

Both #7,23 fuses good
I even removed the whole junction block and sprayed it out with electronic cleaner.
I never open the back hatch, So i figure ide key up for some go to areas on a 99,

Where should I start guys? Just another electric problem to go with my others, sweet:doh:

Don't rule out bad bulbs without checking them. It'd be frustrating to chase a problem all over the truck only to find out the bulbs were just bad.

Don't rule out bad bulbs without checking them. It'd be frustrating to chase a problem all over the truck only to find out the bulbs were just bad.

Bulbs work because driving lights work.

Brake light switch ohms good.

Pink/blue tracer wire has 12.7 constant, white/gold tracer has 12.7 until the switch is pressed.

I'm not seeing a brake light diagram in the fsm,

Where should I check next guys?

Thank you

Parking lamps are separate filament. Check them and you can verify power and ground at the bulb and work your way back.

There are two sections of one bulb that light?

I just popped the top one out and realized it's only one bulb lol. That makes sense now, I was puzzled.

I found my old tow connector that's illuminated to.? ? https://imgur.com/gallery/jj6iDEw

86EUWaq.jpg

Parking lamps are separate filament. Check them and you can verify power and ground at the bulb and work your way back.

Alright so I have power to the pink/blue trace and white wire on the switch. The same white wire from the switch that's running to the back,Power is constant here until the 12v disconnects when the switch is pressed.
WEeAHH1.jpg

I assume the brown wire to the tail light is supposed to be a secondary supply for voltage once the brake pedal is depressed Illuminating the other filament?

Well half way through writing this I found:
F12eEpd.jpg

Looks like it's running on the foot plate. Is this a short to ground?

It was the bulbs, but I found two things I'm glad this led me to fix. Yellow tank wire starting to get cut, and the tow wiring had a black square portion that was rather warm. It got gutted out. Now I just gotta figure out this bit I've found under the steering wheel lol.

Much appreciated help here, thank you.

Back