• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE install --now no 4 low

Lunatic728

NAXJA Forum User
Case worked nicely before the install, no hard shifts no grinding.

The install wasn't that hard and pretty straight forward. Selector in low but was in 2 wheel drive when I installed the tc in the jeep I must have moved it when I was trying to install the case, trimmed the shift selector rod and such

Well over the weekend I did the AA sye install and now I don't have no neutral, or 4 low and by that I mean I can't even force the shift lever into those positions. I do have 4 hi but nothing else. 2 hi works great no strange noises.

I did find some problems while in the case that I could not find parts locally, and since I had to get the jeep back on the road for work this week. So I will taking out the case again to replace parts listed below.

Problems:
1. Shift pads for the larger fork were in pieces (shifted fine before install)
2. I need a new screen for pump; top part of the screen was gone.

Maybe I tightened the bolt for the shift selector too much I tried to loosen it a little bit with no help. Linkage is properly adjusted.

So if anybody can give me some ideas before I rip into the case again for installing the bad parts that would be great.

[b[Let me say that the instructions we good, but instead of saying snap ring pliers it should say lock ring pliers had to get them at sears. [/b]

i had a similar issue when i did mine. what happend was that the shift selector plate was shifted a tad bit. and the roller that rides on it wasn't making contact on the roller part. thus binding it up.

with the AA SYE or similar in construction, then you would need to shorten the shift rail where it sticks out of the rear of the transfer case. if you did not shorten it enough, then it will bottom in the tailhousing before you make it to 4 LO

-Tim

Yep cut the shift rail to 1"

Ok stupid question, could this be that I moved the selector to a position other than Low Range while removing the case? If that is the case can I just take apart the case and do it correctly?

I took apart an old tired case to see if I missed anything, and low and behold this case will not shift either if the larger range for tab rests against the shift selector while in any other gear than low. So maybe I did jog it out of low while taking the case out.

I will be replacing the pads, front output seal and oil screen. So its no big deal that I have to go through this again.

Thanks for everybodys help.....

So digging up a old thread here... I have a similar problem, 2HI and 4HI work fine, I can get to N but when I try to get it into 4LO I cannot push the shifter down.

A buddy of mine looked at the t-case linkage and said it was bent and rubbing against the side of the unibody and will not allow it to shift into 4LO. Could the shift rail still be a problem? I never trimmed mine while installing my sye.

And I have a 98 with a 231 and AW4.

-Alex

Back