• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LCA bolts and Leaf Springs

betic72

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, first post. I just pulled some LCA bolts out of a couple JY WJ's to use on my 99' XJ leafs when I change them this weekend. These bolts are supposed to be 10.9 rated bolts and my question is, the one on the left is slightly longer and has a 10 stamped on the head with a shield symbol (or something similar). Is that bolt also a 10.9 with an odd stamp or did someone swap another bolt in at some point?

You can clearly see the 10 stamp on the left bolt and if you zoom in, you can see the 10.9 on the right bolt. 3 of the bolts I pulled have the 10 on them.

Qw1e1x0l.jpg

BtMl83Ll.jpg

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
One metric and the other SAE? Hard to tell on my phone but it appears that the threads my be different. It wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong, though.

From the pics they look different diameters.
Go to the hardware store or local bolt and fastener store and tell them you want,
4 of M14 x 2.0 pitch x 120mm long, class 10.9, flange head, nipple tip and nuts

Last couple of times I had to grind my own nipple. If worried about the threads just thead the nut on and out of the way before you grind. Removing the nuts will ensure that they will thread on later without much difficulty.

Those bolts are still available new, OEM.

Not cheap at $8 apiece, but the right bolt and not yet all rusted up.

One linky: http://www.morris4x4center.com/mopar-spring-eye-bolt-34202118.html

Or just do a search for Mopar 34202118

If you can find good ones in the junkyard that is fine too, but given the battles that some folks have had to fight in order to get their leaf springs out I think a $50 investment in new hardware is worth it for me.

It seems odd that several Jeeps would all have the same "10" stamped in the bolts unless they came from the factory. If the bolts don't feel right don't use them. Sometimes the Chinese get involved and you'll find bolts stamped 10.9 or some fake mark that feel like aluminum yet a magnet sticks to them. Bolts from the dealer have always been fine. SAE bolts use hash marks not numbers.

Thanks for the replys. I decided to just go down to the JY and get 3 more of the bolts since it's only a 5 minute drive from my house. Shockingly, the bolts are the same diameters, it's just the perspective that makes them look off. Still, I just tossed the one's I was unsure of. Better safe than sorry. The JY bolts came off easily and were in great shape. I did purchase new U-bolts, since those aren't something I wanted to re-use.

Got the leaf's on and shocks on and it started pouring rain before I could tighten it all down. It's these moments I wish I had a garage.

You'd eventually fill it with tools and still wouldn't be able to get the Jeep in.

Those bolts pictured are stock bolts, they have an oversized shoulder.

Different suppliers at different periods may have different markings.

You will not find those bolts anywhere else but under a Jeep.

Back