• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fire extinguisher

I shouldn't think so. If you're that worried, just have a light towel or something laying over it (light colour, mainly - it reflects more light and IR.)

Do NOT get a chrome bottle - you'd be surprised how much heat chrome will retain! What's the use in a fire extinguisher if you can't hold on to it when you need it? They're painted for a reason...

5-90

You should have no problems from U.V. exposure to the outside of the bottle. No matter what kind of extinguisher you get, you should take it out of your vehicle once every six months, and tap it lightly with a RUBBER mallet until you can feel the powder moving around inside. Also inspect that your gauge reads full. There is nothing worse than needing an extinguisher only to find out the powder has become compacted in the bottom of the bottle from road vibrations.

Maybe I'm not seeing the whole picture, but why would you want a fire extinguisher in the rear of the vehicle? I mounted mine under the driver seat on that plastic panel that hides the seat bracketry. Perfect fit, easily reachable, and not in the way at all... To me, if I have a fire, I just reach down and I can grab it. I wouldn't want to have to run around to the back, open the hatch, get the extinguisher, run to the front only to realize in the panic I forgot to open the hood latch, run back to the drivers door, pop the hood, run back to the front to battle the fire.... :flame: To me, common sense tells me to put it within the easiest reach of the driver. Maybe mount a second/reserve in the rear?

kleake said:
Maybe I'm not seeing the whole picture, but why would you want a fire extinguisher in the rear of the vehicle? I mounted mine under the driver seat on that plastic panel that hides the seat bracketry. Perfect fit, easily reachable, and not in the way at all...

Thats good idea, I have had mine in the back for a while and wanted to move it up front but just havent yet. I may move it this weekend.

thanks for the Idea.

Back