• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fire extinguisher mount

Steve

NAXJA Forum User
I was woundering how you guys have mounted your fire extinguishers. Any pics would be great. I've seen them mounted in the back, opposite the spare, on the other wheel well. It seemed to work pretty good. Any suggestions?

You know, I've seen a ton of threads on this. A lot of people seem to mount them in a "cool" place where functionality takes a back seat.
Say you have an engine fire. Where do you want your extinguisher? If it's in the back and you have to get out and open another door to get to it, it may be too late.
This is where I have mine and I have mounted another on the passenger side as well...
picture.JPG

...I don't know if there is enough room on a four door but I believe this is the best spot for rapid deployment.

Jes

thanks for the link. I didn't realize that topic had been so exhausted. I think I'll go with the larger one in back, like I planned, but also keep a small one between the seat and sill. That location makes a lot a sense.

Jes -
I got one wedged in there on my wife's 89 Limited (power seats and all!) so it will fit.

Nifty score - I picked up a midget Halon bottle recently that I need to have refilled (good for something like 126 cu ft) that may find use somewhere (Hell, it was free!)

Jes -
I got one wedged in there on my wife's 89 Limited (power seats and all!) so it will fit.

Nifty score - I picked up a midget Halon bottle recently that I need to have refilled (good for something like 126 cu ft) that may find use somewhere (Hell, it was free!)

Anyone have any idea offhand what it should cost to refill Halon and drychem bottles? Drychems are A-B-C types, all less than 10#.

5-90

You may want to check with your local fire department. I don't know what their policies are on refilling bottles that weren't used at a fire they responded to. I do know that when I had just got my extinguisher from a buddy, the last time it was checked was in 1989, so I think it might have been the Halon stuff, but I don't know what it is, I had only had it for a day. There was a car fire in the parking lot across from my dorm, and since it was sitting in my room, I grabbed it and ran across the street and tried putting it out. It kept it down enough till they could get there, but they recharged it for me for free. So long story short, check with your local fire department. P.S. I accidentaly inhaled some of the chemicals in it and it made me cough really bad for about a day, does this mean it was the Halon stuff? Hope this helps, Christian

Mich88 - you likely had a drychem, and the dust (I don't know what it is offhand...) would have gotten to you. I know there are companies that will refill them for you, but I've not talked to any yet and was wondering if anyone had.

Firemen - in the linked thread, someone mentioned something called "Halotron." WTF? Will it work in Halon-rated bottles? How about drychem? What's the main difference?

5-90

a fire extingwisher needs to be in reach in a moments notice. having an engine fire or some sort. and having to get out, run to the rear, open up the hatch, get the extingwisher out of your tool shed and run back to the front of the car kinda defeats most of the purpose, by that time alot of stuff would be fried.

I have 2... One next to the seat. Similar to the picture below. and one in the rear cargo area.
picture.JPG

O BTW.. those are some nice *bling* chrome step rails you got there
:D

Back