• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MAGICAL XJ

makkman

NAXJA Forum User
This isn't quite a "problem" as most have it.
My 89 XJ 5 speed has a unique ability.
it'll develop an interesting problem. lights don't work, high idle, won't start without crossing battery to silenoid (sp?!), and then when i don't go to take care of it, it just goes back to normal.
Anyone else have a Magic XJ? or know why mine has super-jeepy abilities?

p.s. i want to hit the engineer that designed the internal slave cylinder for the 5 speed with my transmission/t-case combo, in the head.
:twak:

the only things that havn't cured themselves are the Radiator Leak and the bogus clutch linkage. but the thing has near 190k. and i beat it every day. like a red headed stepchild. and it likes it.

start chasing ground connections and clean them with emory paper-- even if they look good-- you'll be amazed what works everytime after you're done!!

I agree with Shorty on this one . Could also be your Ignition switch . I have a 89 aswell and grounds are very important . Also check your connections on your battery .

sounds like everything ive ever worked on... except its usualy grease... when you grease it something breaks weather its a hyd. hose or a piston etc. etc.

x2 to amcinstaller...heres what the block to battery ground looked like on my 88. End at the battery looked fine but this end had the casing split a good 8" up the cable, with the last 2" missing casing completely. When I split it open this is what I found:

1001912mediumea9.jpg

Go a few gauges heavier when u replace that one - I think I did 4-ga.

heres the ground I added for the firewall to the block too:
1001917largegt1.jpg

Back