• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 AW4 to AX15 swap...unique issues

WPZuerich

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,
I've researched extensively all the auto to manual swap threads but I believe I have a unique issue for putting a manual trans into a 2001 Cherokee. I believe I can fool the PCM into thinking the TC is still there by installing a relay but my understanding is the 2001 AW4 uses input and output speed sensors to check that the TC is indeed locked up. I'd expect an error code if the computer doesn't get a signal from the speed sensors.
What if I ground out both speed sensors? Would that keep an error code from popping up? Any other suggestions?
Thanks

Why would you want a AX-15 vs the NV3550 that came in the late models?

The transmission connector has ports for input speed sensor signal and input speed sensor ground. It has the same ports for the output speed sensor as well. I believe the speed sensors simply provide a voltage back to the computer and if the voltages of the input and output sensors are the same, then it reads the TC as locked up.

If I connect the signal port to the ground port, it should provide full voltage to the computer. I'm just wondering if that is too much voltage and the computer will think something is wrong?

I think your going to have to reverse engineer it. What is the wiring/tcu for a '00-01 with a NV3550?

The NV3550 has no TCU and just wiring for reverse lights and a clutch safety switch.

The AW4 wiring is so integrated into the jeep that I want to leave as much as I can in place. People who have done this in the past say everything runs fine except you'll get error codes related to the TC.

Ideally I'd like to get a computer out of a manual 2001 Cherokee. I've been searching for months now with no success. I'd even settle for a VIN.

Back