• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1999 XJ Cam Question

jrienzo4

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I need some help here. I developed a piston slap and so now I am rebuilding the motor. I have not pulled it apart yet, but I am planning on rebuilding the current motor basically stock (upgraded injectors were just done, and I assume I will bore .030 over...). I don’t t have the cash to do the stroker swap right now (remodeling house), so that’s not an option 😫
I’ve been thinking about and researching cams and had a couple questions:
Regarding either the Comp Cams Xtreme cam kit (or tell me the the cam you chose):
1. Has anyone put this in a STOCK XJ? (Most threads reference the stroker), and if so was it worth it?
2. Who has put an aftermarket cam in a 1999+ XJ and did you mod the keeper to the old style, or find a cam that fits current configuration?
FYI - this is a currently DD/Weekend Wheeler that one day in a few years will retire to fully off-road use.
7a481b221a156b76ee812dad6857f828.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A cam will help the breathing on any motor. As far as using a earlier cam it's no issue at all, I run a -98 Comp cam in my 2000.

Ok. So the gears I have come from a variety of other posts that say there is a significant drop in torque but a rise in HP forcing the use of higher RPM’s off road.
Have you noticed any negative side effect of this sort?
And which Comp cam did you use?
Did you have to change anything else (electronics, sensors, CPU mods) to make the change work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok. So the gears I have come from a variety of other posts that say there is a significant drop in torque but a rise in HP forcing the use of higher RPM’s off road.
Have you noticed any negative side effect of this sort?
And which Comp cam did you use?
Did you have to change anything else (electronics, sensors, CPU mods) to make the change work?

I meant the *fears I have...*

What I am getting at is I don't want to make the change if it's going to cause a lot of problems. I have read that the CPU's don't work well with a different cam.

I'm running the 68-232-4 cam which put out most it's torque just of of idle.

I'm running the 68-232-4 cam which put out most it's torque just of of idle.

What valve springs did you use? Everyone seems to reference the MOPAR P5249464, but that is not a beehive style spring from what I can tell... so is for the earlier head, right?

you tore an engine apart over a little slap? every 4.0 i've been around sounds shit. keep running tho. or did yours tear up other things.

that cam is under .50" lift. should be fine on stock springs. upgraded springs are better, but likely not necessary

I haven't torn it apart yet... but it went form a little annoying slap to a very loud horrible slap, lol. Really, it's bad. I don't want to break a piston skirt, and send metal shrapnel... rebuilds are generally pretty easy IMO. Couple weekends of time. I'm just interested in the cam options, since I would be replacing it with a stock one in the kit anyway - might as well look into upgrading while it's apart.

What valve springs did you use? Everyone seems to reference the MOPAR P5249464, but that is not a beehive style spring from what I can tell... so is for the earlier head, right?

I'm using beehive's but you would need to call Russ for the exact application/part number.

Here's my 0331 head.
P1080515_zpsy6cfykns.jpg

Back