• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A pillar replacement

Weasel

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
My A pillars are toast. Passenger side has broke top and bottom and drive side is broke on one end. Need to rework them. Plane to follow what many other have done with a tube along the drip rail, bend down to follow the A pillar, and then down behind the front fender to the rock rail.

Question I have is since the current A pillars are useless, I am thinking of cutting ~1.5" out of the edge and inlaying the tube into the A pillar. It looks doable. Reason I am thinking of this is it would minimize the exo-cage look, and with the A pillars cracked as is they are not doing much good so why not cut them out?

Thoughts? Should have caged the stupid thing along time ago.

Rockers are also getting cut out as they are pulling away from where they were welded to the body and have a pretty good arch to them now. They also have lots of scale on the inside. I didn't find out until last summer but when they installed them they didn't seal the front of them so the 3/16" steel is less than 1/8" in quite a few places.

I like the idea. I you would probably need to have the windshield out to weld to the A pillar that much. By the sounds of it you already need one. Hurry up and do it. If it looks good I will do mine like that too.

no the windshield is perfect? I found that odd. That's another issue, welding it without screwing up the windshield. lots of stitch welds I guess.

Guess there is one way to find out.

no the windshield is perfect? I found that odd. That's another issue, welding it without screwing up the windshield. lots of stitch welds I guess.

Guess there is one way to find out.
its sheetmetal, ya gotta do a bazzillion spot welds anyways

Back